United's Olsen named MLS All-Star coachJun 21, 2012 - 6:41 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - D.C. United's Ben Olsen was named coach of the MLS All-Stars on Thursday.
Former Philadelphia Union coach Peter Nowak was originally named coach for the all-star game against Chelsea on July 25 at PPL Park in Chester, Pa. But after he was fired by the Union, MLS had to pick a replacement.
"This is a huge honor," Olsen said. "This league has been a major part of my life, both as a player and now as a coach, and it's given me a lot.
"Ultimately, this recognition comes because of my team and my staff, but to represent the league on a big stage like this is a real privilege."
Olsen, a two-time MLS Cup winner and five-time all-star as a player, has D.C. atop the Eastern Conference standings this season.
"Ben Olsen has experience playing in All-Star Games and he has guided his team to one of the best records in MLS so far this season," said Nelson Rodriguez, MLS Executive Vice President of Competition and Game Operations.
Philadelphia Union interim coach John Hackworth and the United technical staff of Chad Ashton, Pat Onstad and Sonny Silooy will serve as assistant coaches.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- D.C. out to continue impressive form vs. Philadelphia Aug 9
- DCU to meet RSL in U.S. Open Cup final Aug 7
- Doyle sparks United to win over Montreal Aug 3
- Montreal heads to DCU with sights set on first place Aug 2
- Revs storm back for victory at DCU Jul 27
- Revolution, DCU clash at RFK Jul 26
- D.C. United announces plan for new stadium Jul 25
- Rolfe nets brace as Fire rout United Jul 20
- DCU, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jul 19
- DCU lands Doyle in loan deal Jul 18
- TFC sends Silva to DCU in exchange for allocation money Jul 9
- DCU, Colorado play to scoreless draw at DSG Park Jul 7