Donovan claims MLS Player of the Week honorJun 25, 2012 - 7:12 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan was named the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 16 after he tallied three goals and two assists in two matches.
Donovan began his week with two goals and an assist in a 3-2 comeback win over Real Salt Lake on Wednesday.
With the Galaxy trailing 2-0 in the first half, Donovan scored in the 29th minute before setting up the equalizing goal for Mike Magee and netting the winner with 20 minutes to play.
Los Angeles then won its third straight match by handing Vancouver Whitecaps FC a 3-0 defeat at The Home Depot Center on Saturday.
Donovan set up a goal for Robbie Keane to put the Galaxy up 2-0 midway through the first half before he scored from the penalty spot to give his team a commanding 3-0 advantage.
The MLS Player of the Week award is selected each week by the North American Soccer Reporters. The group consists of members of online, print, television, radio media.
2012 MLS Player of the Week winners:
Week 1: Kalif Alhassan (Portland Timbers)
Week 2: David Estrada (Seattle Sounders FC)
Week 3: Thierry Henry (Red Bull New York)
Week 4: Thierry Henry (Red Bull New York)
Week 5: Thierry Henry (Red Bull New York)
Week 6: Dan Kennedy (Chivas USA)
Week 7: Chris Pontius (D.C. United)
Week 8: Steven Lenhart (San Jose Earthquakes)
Week 9: Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
Week 10: Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution)
Week 11: Dwayne De Rosario (D.C. United)
Week 12: Emilio Renteria (Columbus Crew)
Week 13-15: Patrice Bernier (Montreal Impact)
Week 16: Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- L.A. returns to action to face struggling Dallas Aug 9
- Galaxy signs Panama GK Penedo Aug 5
- Rapids roll past Galaxy Jul 27
- Mastroeni returns to Colorado with Galaxy Jul 26
- Donovan to replace Keane on MLS All-Star roster Jul 26
- Zardes lifts Galaxy past 'Caps Jul 21
- Galaxy hopes to cool off 'Caps Jul 19
- Galaxy sign midfielder Laurent Courtois Jul 19
- Jean-Baptiste leaves it late as Timbers top Galaxy Jul 14
- Timbers attempt to regroup ahead of Galaxy clash Jul 12
- Sarvas, Jimenez help L.A. down FC Dallas Jul 8
- FCD sets sights on three points against Galaxy Jul 5