Chicago signs Dutch striker MacDonaldJul 24, 2012 - 3:47 PM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - The Chicago Fire announced Tuesday that the club has signed Dutch striker Sherjill MacDonald from Belgian side Beerschot AC.
MacDonald will join the Fire as a Designated Player pending an international opening on the roster. Per league and club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"Sherjill is a goal scorer who can hold the ball up, attack with pace and is very technically sound," said Fire head coach Frank Klopas. "He has competed at a high level in Europe and will bolster our attack as we make a push toward the MLS Cup Playoffs."
The 27-year-old previously enjoyed stints with Belgian giants Anderlecht, Dutch first division side AGOVV Apeldoorn and English Premier League club West Bromwich. Over the course of his 10-year professional career in Belgium, the Netherlands and England, MacDonald has tallied 47 goals in 217 appearances.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- McInerney scores again as Union douse Fire 10:46p
- Union look to bounce back against Fire at PPL Fri
- McInerney, MacMath lift Union past Fire May 11
- Chicago resumes MLS action with Philadelphia tilt May 10
- Larentowicz sees red as Fire falls to Montreal Apr 27
- Fire, Impact clash at Saputo Apr 26
- MLS fines, suspends Chicago's Thompson Apr 25
- Larentowicz leaves it late as Fire tops Crew Apr 20
- Fire, Crew clash at Toyota Park Apr 19
- Davis leads Dynamo past Fire Apr 14
- Dynamo look to continue home dominance against Fire Apr 12
- Santos brace powers Chicago past New York Apr 7