Arrieta's brace leads Columbus over SportingJul 29, 2012 - 3:00 AM Kansas City, KS (Sports Network) - Jairo Arrieta scored his first two goals in MLS, and the Columbus Crew surprised Sporting Kansas City, 2-1, on Saturday at Livestrong Sporting Park.
Arrieta signed with Columbus in April, but the Costa Rican forward debuted for the Crew this month. He scored in the 17th and 34th minutes as Columbus erased an early deficit for its second straight win over an Eastern Conference foe.
Columbus (8-7-4) defeated D.C. United, 1-0, last weekend and added an key road win against Sporting. D.C. and Sporting have both led the East this season.
The Crew remained sixth in the standings, but have played fewer games than all five teams ahead of it in the table.
Sporting (11-7-4) saw its winless skid reach three games as it wasted a chance to move back atop the standings. Red Bull New York, which leads the East, lost to the Montreal Impact, 3-1, on Saturday, but maintained a one-point cushion.
Kei Kamara handed Kansas City the lead after 8 minutes, as he met a free kick from Graham Zusi in the area and powered in a header for his team-high eighth goal this season.
Columbus answered with 10 minutes, as Josh Williams passed to Arrieta, who was able to convert a left-footed shot for his first MLS goal. Arrieta notched the game-winner later in the half, when he converted to the bottom left.
Cole Grossman was sent off 5 minutes into stoppage time for Columbus, and K.C. nearly pulled out a point when Kamara had a chance from inside the 6-yard box, but shot just wide with just seconds remaining.
Both squads return to MLS action Aug. 4, with Columbus at D.C. and Kansas City at the New England Revolution.
- COLUMBUS: 2
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
Jul 28 10:34 PM
- Columbus Goal - Arrieta 2 (unassisted), 34th minute
Crew 2, Sporting Kansas City 1 1st - 35'Jul 28 9:13 PM
- Columbus Goal - Arrieta 1 (Williams), 17th minute
Crew 1, Sporting Kansas City 1 1st - 19'Jul 28 8:57 PM
- Kansas City Goal - Kamara 8 (Zusi), 8th minute
Crew 0, Sporting Kansas City 1 1st - 12'Jul 28 8:50 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 28 8:38 PM
- Kamara lifts SKC to first place Aug 10
- Higuain's brace sees Columbus down N.Y. Aug 10
- SKC hopes to snap losing skid vs. New England Aug 9
- RBNY heads to Columbus hoping to maintain top spot Aug 9
- Houston piles more misery on Columbus Aug 3
- RBNY tops SKC to climb atop the East Aug 3
- Dynamo, Crew clash at BBVA Aug 2
- RBNY, SKC battle for top spot in the East Aug 2
- Hunt family sells Columbus Crew Jul 30
- Smith's late goal sees Montreal down Sporting Jul 27
- Wiedeman helps TFC complete comeback vs. Columbus Jul 27
- Crew, TFC renew acquaintances in Trillium Cup Jul 26