Toronto signs Irish international O'DeaAug 3, 2012 - 3:41 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Toronto FC announced Friday that it has signed Irish international defender Darren O'Dea.
O'Dea began his career with Scottish giants Celtic but has enjoyed several loan spells in England with Reading, Ipswich Town and Leeds United. The 25- year-old has been capped for the Irish national team 14 times and most recently was included in Ireland's Euro 2012 squad.
"Darren addresses our need for an experienced, no nonsense central defender," said Toronto FC Head Coach and Director of Soccer Operations Paul Mariner. "Darren has great leadership abilities and his experience, both for club and country, will be a welcomed addition to our club and for our young players. We are so pleased to bring him to Toronto."
Per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. O'Dea will be added to the TFC roster pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Seattle edges TFC in Dempsey's debut Aug 10
- Dempsey poised to make Seattle debut against TFC Aug 9
- Laba's early goal holds up as TFC tops Revs Aug 4
- Revs, TFC tangle at Gillette Aug 2
- Wiedeman helps TFC complete comeback vs. Columbus Jul 27
- Crew, TFC renew acquaintances in Trillium Cup Jul 26
- Toronto signs MF Rey Jul 25
- RBNY, TFC play to draw at BMO Jul 20
- RBNY goes for second straight win vs. TFC Jul 19
- Torres helps Chivas end winless drought Jul 18
- TFC, Chivas battle for much-needed win Jul 16
- Saad's brace helps Sporting down TFC Jul 13