Bayern forward Gomez needs surgeryAug 6, 2012 - 1:09 AM Munich, Germany (Sports Network) - Bayern Munich forward Mario Gomez injured his ankle Saturday and will require minor surgery that could sideline him for the start of the Bundesliga season, the German club announced Sunday.
Gomez, 27, will have loose fragments removed from his right ankle this week - and no timetable was given for how long the German international will be out. Gomez has 64 goals in 94 appearances for Bayern.
"He's not in good shape. He needs surgery," Bayern director of sport Matthias Sammer said. "After the op, we'll find out how long he's unavailable."
The Bundesliga season opens Aug. 24 and Bayern opens Aug. 25 at newly-promoted Greuther Furth.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Petersen completes Werder Bremen deal Thu
- Dortmund's Gotze to miss Champions League final Wed
- Bayern completes Bundesliga season in style May 18
- Freiburg eyes first Champions League spot May 17
- Schalke's Metzelder announces retirement May 16
- Schaaf leaves Bremen by mutual consent May 15
- Bayern cruises past Augsburg May 11
- Draxler signs Schalke extension May 10
- Relegation battle takes center stage in Germany May 10
- Klasnic, Ivanschitz to depart Mainz May 9
- Rojas signs for Stuttgart May 8
- Dortmund's Weidenfeller signs extension May 6