Bayern forward Gomez needs surgeryAug 6, 2012 - 1:09 AM Munich, Germany (Sports Network) - Bayern Munich forward Mario Gomez injured his ankle Saturday and will require minor surgery that could sideline him for the start of the Bundesliga season, the German club announced Sunday.
Gomez, 27, will have loose fragments removed from his right ankle this week - and no timetable was given for how long the German international will be out. Gomez has 64 goals in 94 appearances for Bayern.
"He's not in good shape. He needs surgery," Bayern director of sport Matthias Sammer said. "After the op, we'll find out how long he's unavailable."
The Bundesliga season opens Aug. 24 and Bayern opens Aug. 25 at newly-promoted Greuther Furth.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Boateng extends Bayern stay 11:45a
- Wolfsburg cruises at Freiburg Sun
- Bayern puts seven past Bremen Sat
- Bayern tests unbeaten run at Werder Bremen Fri
- Bayern's Robben out for six weeks Dec 5
- Alaba inks new Bayern contract Dec 2
- Araujo lifts Monchengladbach to fifth straight win Dec 1
- Robben scores twice in Bayern's defeat of Braunschweig Nov 30
- Leverkusen, Bayern expect comfortable home results Nov 29
- Bayern's Lahm sidelined by hamstring injury Nov 28
- Hamburg signs Tah to contract extension Nov 27
- Hamburg downs struggling Hannover Nov 24