Smith, Storm cruise past MercuryJul 14, 2012 - 4:18 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Katie Smith had a game-high 19 points as the Seattle Storm dominated the Phoenix Mercury, 83-64.
Smith knocked down four-of-five three-point attempts and was 7-for-11 from the field as the Storm won for the third time in their last five games.
Shekinna Stricklen posted a double-double off the bench for Seattle, dropping 15 points and pulling down a season-high 11 rebounds. Camille Little added 15 points.
DeWanna Bonner paced the Mercury with 18 points on 4-of-17 shooting and Lynetta Kizer and Alexis Hornbuckle contributed 14 and 13, respectively, as the Mercury lost their sixth straight game.
The Storm, which led by four at half, broke the game open in the third quarter, outscoring Phoenix 26-6 and opening up a lead as large as 26 in the fourth quarter. Seattle controlled the game in the paint and on transition, outscoring Phoenix 38-20 in the painted area and 20-7 on the fast break.
Due to the Summer Olympics in London, the WNBA is out of action until August 16.
- SEATTLE: 83
Jul 13 11:57 PM
- SEATTLE: 41
Jul 13 10:59 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 13 10:58 PM
- Mercury name Brondello head coach Nov 15
- Lynx sweep Mercury, return to WNBA Finals Sep 29
- Whalen, Lynx rout Mercury to take 1-0 lead in West finals Sep 27
- Griner's late bucket sends Mercury to West finals Sep 24
- Augustus helps Lynx sweep Storm Sep 22
- Parker leads Sparks over Mercury Sep 22
- Lynx pull away, top Storm in Game 1 Sep 20
- Taurasi helps Phoenix take Game 1 over LA Sep 20
- Sparks pummel Mercury in playoff preview Sep 15
- Thompson leads Storm past Shock Sep 15
- Taurasi's double-double powers Mercury past Silver Stars Sep 14
- Stricklen leads Storm past Shock Sep 12