Spencer scores 15 to lead Liberty past SkyJul 22, 2009 - 7:18 PM CHICAGO(AP) -- Reserve guard Sidney Spencer scored 12 of her 15 points in the fourth quarter to help the New York Liberty rally for a 77-70 victory over the Chicago Sky on Wednesday.
Spencer, a third-year pro from Tennessee, hit three 3-pointers in a two-minute span late in the game.
The victory was the second straight and third in four games for the Liberty (6-8). Chicago (8-9) suffered its second home loss of the season and has now lost six of its last eight games.
The Sky led 67-61 with 5:53 left in regulation following a Kristi Toliver jumper. But the Liberty replied with an 11-0 run to take command, starting with Spencer's first three-pointer at 5:17. Her second three-pointer with 3:37 left gave New York a 69-67 lead, its first since midway through the second quarter.
Chicago closed the gap to 72-70 on a Jia Perkins jumper, but the Liberty closed the game with five unanswered points.
New York's Cathrine Kraayeveld and Shameka Christon added 14 and 11 points, respectively. Reserve Ashley Battle added 10.
Center Sylvia Fowles paced the Sky with 15 points while guard Jia Perkins and reserve Erin Thonn each had 11.
- NEW YORK: 77
Jul 22 2:26 PM
- NEW YORK: 18
End of 1st
Jul 22 12:55 PM
- Sky give Prince extension May 17
- Mystics acquire Hollingsworth from Liberty Apr 15
- Lynx acquire McCarville in three-team trade Mar 1
- Carson re-signs with Liberty, Smith signs as free agent Feb 26
- Bill Laimbeer appointed Liberty's coach/GM Oct 25
- Sun score final 14 points, sweep Liberty Sep 29
- League MVP Charles leads Sun to Game 1 win over Liberty Sep 28
- Vandersloot leads Sky over Mystics Sep 22
- Liberty use big second half to top Shock Sep 22
- Dream eliminate Sky from postseason contention Sep 20
- Shock win, but Liberty clinch playoff spot Sep 20
- Wauters helps Storm take down Sky Sep 19