Spencer scores 15 to lead Liberty past SkyJul 22, 2009 - 7:18 PM CHICAGO(AP) -- Reserve guard Sidney Spencer scored 12 of her 15 points in the fourth quarter to help the New York Liberty rally for a 77-70 victory over the Chicago Sky on Wednesday.
Spencer, a third-year pro from Tennessee, hit three 3-pointers in a two-minute span late in the game.
The victory was the second straight and third in four games for the Liberty (6-8). Chicago (8-9) suffered its second home loss of the season and has now lost six of its last eight games.
The Sky led 67-61 with 5:53 left in regulation following a Kristi Toliver jumper. But the Liberty replied with an 11-0 run to take command, starting with Spencer's first three-pointer at 5:17. Her second three-pointer with 3:37 left gave New York a 69-67 lead, its first since midway through the second quarter.
Chicago closed the gap to 72-70 on a Jia Perkins jumper, but the Liberty closed the game with five unanswered points.
New York's Cathrine Kraayeveld and Shameka Christon added 14 and 11 points, respectively. Reserve Ashley Battle added 10.
Center Sylvia Fowles paced the Sky with 15 points while guard Jia Perkins and reserve Erin Thonn each had 11.
- NEW YORK: 77
Jul 22 2:26 PM
- NEW YORK: 18
End of 1st
Jul 22 12:55 PM
- Fever cruise past Sky, return to conference finals Sep 22
- Fever beat top-seeded Sky to open playoffs Sep 20
- Fowles, Moore repeat as WNBA Players of Month Sep 17
- Hill, Mystics down Liberty Sep 15
- Lynx down Sky to secure home-court advantage in playoffs Sep 14
- Sky rally late to down Dream Sep 13
- Catchings, Fever hold off Liberty Sep 13
- Sky beat Mercury on Delle Donne's buzzer-beater Sep 11
- Mercury upend Liberty behind Bonner's outside shooting Sep 10
- Delle Donne powers Sky past Mystics Sep 8
- January guides Fever past Sky Sep 6
- McCoughtry guides Dream over Liberty Sep 6