Charles, Parker earn WNBA weekly honorsJun 18, 2012 - 9:19 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Connecticut's Tina Charles and Los Angeles' Candace Parker have been named the WNBA's Eastern and Western Conference players of the week, respectively, for games played June 11-17.
Charles, who earned her sixth career weekly honor, led the league with 14.3 rebounds per game while adding 20.7 points per game for the Sun. She became the first player in league history to post three career 20-20 games after amassing 23 points and 22 rebounds in a victory over the Atlanta Dream on June 17.
Parker took home her second weekly award this season and the seventh of her career. She recorded 33 points, 16 rebounds, eight assists and five blocks in an 87-81 victory over Connecticut, which was the Sparks' lone win during the period.
Other candidates for the weekly award were Atlanta's Armintie Price, Chicago's Sylvia Fowles and Washington's Crystal Langhorne in the East, and Minnesota's Lindsay Whalen, Phoenix's DeWanna Bonner, San Antonio's Becky Hammon, Seattle's Sue Bird and Tulsa's Temeka Johnson in the West.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Storm cruise past Sun Sun
- Ogwumike leads Sparks in rout of Silver Stars Sun
- Mercury scorch Sparks Sat
- Liberty hold off Sun Fri
- Charles leads Sun past struggling Fever Jun 12
- Sparks down Shock in OT Jun 9
- Latta guides Mystics past Sun Jun 7
- Silver Stars hold on to down Sparks Jun 1
- Moore, Lynx open season by beating Sun Jun 1
- Fowles powers Sky over Sun May 31
- Sparks stomp Storm May 26
- Sun down Liberty in season-opener May 25