Catchings, Parker earn WNBA weekly honorsJun 25, 2012 - 7:59 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Tamika Catchings of the Indiana Fever and Candace Parker of the Los Angeles Sparks have been named the WNBA's Eastern and Western Conference players of the week, respectively, for games played June 18-24.
Catchings, who earned her 16th career weekly honor, led the Fever to a 2-1 record last week. The reigning league MVP averaged 14.3 points, 8.3 rebounds and 5.7 assists.
Parker took home her third weekly award this season and the eighth of her career. She paced the Western Conference in rebounds (10.3 rpg) and blocks (4 blocks per game), while ranking third in scoring (19.7 ppg).
The league MVP and Rookie of the Year in 2008, Parker helped guide the Sparks to a 3-1 record on the week.
Other candidates for the weekly award were Atlanta's Sancho Lyttle, Chicago's Sylvia Fowles, and Connecticut's Kara Lawson in the East, and, in the West, Minnesota's Lindsay Whalen, Seattle's Ann Wauters, and Tulsa's Glory Johnson.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Langhorne, Mystics send Fever to fifth straight loss Sun
- Ogwumike leads Sparks in rout of Silver Stars Sun
- Mercury scorch Sparks Sat
- Charles leads Sun past struggling Fever Jun 12
- Sparks down Shock in OT Jun 9
- Mercury down Fever for first win of season Jun 8
- Liberty rally to beat Fever in OT Jun 5
- Silver Stars hold on to down Sparks Jun 1
- Dream spoil Fever's ring night May 31
- Sparks stomp Storm May 26
- Catchings, Zellous fuel Fever past Silver Stars in WNBA opener May 24
- Indiana's Phillips sidelined with torn meniscus May 21