McCoughtry, Young earn WNBA weekly honorsJul 2, 2012 - 8:36 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Angel McCoughtry of the Atlanta Dream and Sophia Young of the San Antonio Silver Stars have been named the WNBA's Eastern and Western Conference players of the week, respectively, for games played June 25-July 1.
McCoughtry, who earned her seventh career weekly honor, led the Dream to a 2-1 record last week. She paced the conference in scoring (22.3 ppg) and was tied for second in blocks (1.67 bpg). The fourth-year pro had at least 20 points in each game to run her streak of consecutive games with 20-or-more points to six.
Young took home her first weekly award this season and the second of her career. She averaged 22.5 points and 7.5 rebounds while leading the Silver Stars to a 2-0 record last week.
Other candidates for the weekly award were Chicago's Sylvia Fowles, Connecticut's Asjha Jones, and Washington's Crystal Langhorne in the East, and, in the West, Minnesota's Rebekkah Brunson, Phoenix's DeWanna Bonner, and Seattle's Sue Bird.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Dream make Michael Cooper head coach Nov 21
- Williams won't return for Dream Oct 21
- Lynx win second WNBA title in three years Oct 11
- Augustus, Lynx take 2-0 lead over Dream Oct 8
- Lynx rout Dream in Game 1 of WNBA Finals Oct 7
- McCoughtry, Dream reach WNBA Finals Sep 29
- Dream gain early upper hand over Fever in East Finals Sep 26
- Dream down Mystics in Game 3, advance to East finals Sep 23
- McCoughtry, Dream top Mystics Sep 22
- Latta, Mystics down Dream in Game 1 Sep 20
- Adams leads Silver Stars in rout of Dream Sep 15
- Taurasi's double-double powers Mercury past Silver Stars Sep 14