McCoughtry, Young earn WNBA weekly honorsJul 2, 2012 - 8:36 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Angel McCoughtry of the Atlanta Dream and Sophia Young of the San Antonio Silver Stars have been named the WNBA's Eastern and Western Conference players of the week, respectively, for games played June 25-July 1.
McCoughtry, who earned her seventh career weekly honor, led the Dream to a 2-1 record last week. She paced the conference in scoring (22.3 ppg) and was tied for second in blocks (1.67 bpg). The fourth-year pro had at least 20 points in each game to run her streak of consecutive games with 20-or-more points to six.
Young took home her first weekly award this season and the second of her career. She averaged 22.5 points and 7.5 rebounds while leading the Silver Stars to a 2-0 record last week.
Other candidates for the weekly award were Chicago's Sylvia Fowles, Connecticut's Asjha Jones, and Washington's Crystal Langhorne in the East, and, in the West, Minnesota's Rebekkah Brunson, Phoenix's DeWanna Bonner, and Seattle's Sue Bird.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Silver Stars G Hammon breaks finger 6:05p
- Silver Stars sign Flores Mar 14
- Silver Stars sign F Delisha Milton-Jones Mar 7
- Atlanta picks up Thomas from Washington Feb 19
- Silver Stars re-sign Perkins to multi-year deal Feb 11
- Dream re-sign McCoughtry Feb 7
- Silver Stars' Young tears ACL Feb 4
- Silver Stars extend Hughes Jan 14
- Fever down Dream to advance to conference finals Oct 2
- Fever even up series in Atlanta Sep 30
- Sparks down Silver Stars to advance to Western Conference Finals Sep 29
- Harding, Dream upset Fever in Game 1 Sep 28