Charles and Parker named Players of the Week in WNBAJul 16, 2012 - 11:42 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Tina Charles of the Connecticut Sun and Candace Parker of the Los Angeles Sparks were named the WNBA's Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week for the period ending July 15.
Charles, who ranks in the top three in rebounds (11.3 per game) and double- doubles (12), won the award for the eighth time in her career and the third time this season.
The University of Connecticut product led the Sun to three wins last week and was fourth in the conference with 19.3 points per game and led it with 9.3 rebounds per game.
The 2008 MVP Parker won her ninth career Player of the Week award and fourth this season.
Parker led the Sparks to two wins last week and was second in the West in scoring (20.5 per game), rebounding (10.5 per game) and led the conference in blocks (3.5 per game).
Other candidates for the Player of the Week were Atlanta's Sancho Lyttle, Indiana's Tamika Catchings and Chicago's Eshaya Murphy in the East and Minnesota's Maya Moore and San Antonio's Jia Perkins in the West.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Catchings, Zellous fuel Fever past Silver Stars in WNBA opener 10:47p
- Silver Stars G Hammon breaks finger Mon
- Silver Stars sign Flores Mar 14
- Silver Stars sign F Delisha Milton-Jones Mar 7
- Silver Stars re-sign Perkins to multi-year deal Feb 11
- Silver Stars' Young tears ACL Feb 4
- Silver Stars extend Hughes Jan 14
- Sun name Anne Donovan head coach Jan 3
- Thibault out as Sun coach Nov 20
- Fever bury Sun to advance to Finals Oct 11
- Zellous lifts Fever over Sun in Game 2 Oct 8
- Sun down Fever in Game 1 Oct 5