Sparks weather StormAug 19, 2012 - 5:24 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Kristi Toliver scored a game-high 22 points and handed out five assists as the Los Angeles Sparks opened the post-Olympic portion of their schedule with an 82-71 win over the Seattle Storm on Saturday.
Nneka Ogwumike posted 17 points and pulled down 10 rebounds and Alana Beard scored 18 points for the Sparks, who have won six consecutive games. Candace Parker added 11 points in the victory.
Tanisha Wright netted 21 points and Shennika Stricklen added 16 points in the loss for Seattle, who had a two-game post-Olympic winning streak snapped.
Los Angeles held a slim 40-38 lead at halftime and used a strong third quarter in which it outscored Seattle 27-17, to take control of the game. The Storm won the final period by a point, but the deficit was too large to overcome.
- Sparks sign Ross to multi-year extension Dec 5
- Griner's late bucket sends Mercury to West finals Sep 24
- Augustus helps Lynx sweep Storm Sep 22
- Parker leads Sparks over Mercury Sep 22
- Lynx pull away, top Storm in Game 1 Sep 20
- Taurasi helps Phoenix take Game 1 over LA Sep 20
- Sparks' Parker wins second WNBA MVP award Sep 19
- Sparks pummel Mercury in playoff preview Sep 15
- Thompson leads Storm past Shock Sep 15
- Ogwumike helps Sparks edge Lynx Sep 13
- Stricklen leads Storm past Shock Sep 12
- Lynx secure West's top seed with win in Seattle Sep 11