Argonauts top Stampeders to clinch playoff spotOct 1, 2006 - 2:24 AM TORONTO (Ticker) -- Eric England was in the right place at the right time to help ensure the Toronto Argonauts' trip to the postseason.
England returned an interception for a touchdown and Ricky Williams added a fourth-quarter scre as the Argonauts clinched a playoff spot with a 23-16 triumph over the Calgary Stampeders.
Toronto (8-6), which captured the Grey Cup two years ago, won for the sixth time in seven games and moved into a first-place tie with the Montreal Alouettes in the East Division.
A defensive end, England snapped a 9-9 tie with 5:18 left in the third quarter when he intercepted Henry Burris' pass and raced 90 yards to the end zone.
Playing his first home game since July 8 because of a broken arm, Williams widened the margin when he scored on a nine-yard touchdown run with 11:54 to go. The former Miami Dolphin gained 34 yards on six carries and caught three passes for 21 yards.
Damon Allen completed 18-of-27 passes for 203 yards for the Argonauts, who defeated Calgary (9-6) for the sixth time in eight encounters by avenging last week's 39-18 loss.
Burris was 21-of-34 for 286 yards and a 10-yard TD pass to Ken Yon Rambo with 1:48 remaining for the Stampeders, who have lost six straight road games to the Argonauts.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Calgary comes calling on Montreal Jul 1
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Harris, Fuller, Willy named top performers for Week 1 Jun 30
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- Paredes lifts Stamps past Tiger-Cats in Grey Cup rematch Jun 27
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Hamilton and Calgary meet in Grey Cup rematch Jun 24
- Stampeders QB Mitchell signs through 2018 Mar 3
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Stampeders' Hufnagel named top CFL coach Jan 21
- Stampeders sign Wall to extension Jan 20
- Stampeders sign Tate to extension Jan 19