Ray rallies Eskimos to much-needed win over RoughridersOct 1, 2006 - 5:38 AM REGINA, Saskatchewan (Ticker) -- With their playoff hopes fading, the Edmonton Eskimos turned to Ricky Ray for a dramatic comeback.
Ray threw for 235 yards and scored an eight-yard touchdown with 42 seconds remaining as the Eskimos rallied for a 30-25 triumph over the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
Scrambling to avoid missing the playoffs for the first time since 1971 - the longest streak in North American pro sports - Edmonton (5-9) won its first road game against Saskatchewan in five years and snapped a six-game road losing streak overall.
Ray fired a nine-yard touchdown pass to Pat Woodcock and a 24-yard scoring strike to Ed Hervey in the second quarter en route to becoming the franchise leader with 1,386 career completions.
After topping the 4,000-yard mark for the second time in his career, Ray scrambled in from eight yards out in the final minute as the Eskimos overcame a 25-17 deficit in the fourth quarter.
Saskatchewan's final play was reminiscent of the classic 1982 college game between California and Stanford, with multiple laterals among several players before Edmonton defensive back Jonte Buhl recovered Kenton Keith's fumble at the Eskimos 4.
Kerry Joseph completed 11-of-20 passes for 138 yards and a pair of first-half touchdowns for the Roughriders (7-7), who lost for just the second time in six games.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Blue Bombers down Roughriders Jun 27
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- Roughriders host Blue Bombers to open new season Jun 24
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Eskimos QB White retires Mar 19
- Riders keep WR Dressler with 4-year extension Jan 30
- Riders pick up Watson from Bombers Jan 29
- Alouettes acquire Stamps from Eskimos Jan 16
- Roughriders sign Jamel Richardson Dec 22
- Mitchell, Stampeders trounce Eskimos to reach Grey Cup Nov 23
- Western Division Final pits Eskimos against Stampeders Nov 19