Allen, Bruce lead Argonauts past slumping EskimosOct 10, 2006 - 2:28 AM TORONTO (Ticker) -- Thanksgiving Day in Canada turned out to be extra special for Damon Allen and Arland Bruce.
Allen threw a pair of touchdown passes to Bruce in the second quarter and Jordan Younger scored on a 74-yard interception return to lead the Toronto Argonauts to a 28-23 triumph over the Edmonton Eskimos.
In winning for the seventh time in eight games, Toronto (9-6) clinched a playoff spot and moved back into a first-place tie with the Montreal Alouettes in the East Division.
The defending Grey Cup champion, Edmonton (5-10) reached double digits in losses for the first time since 1999 and moved closer to having its 34-year streak of making the playoffs ended.
Allen, who completed 13-of-19 passes for 158 yards, found Bruce for a 23-yard touchdown with 11:21 left in the second quarter. The duo hooked up again for a 14-yard TD with 1:59 remaining before halftime to give the Argonauts a 25-9 lead.
League-leading passer Ricky Ray brought the Eskimos back with a pair of one-yard touchdown runs in the third quarter, cutting the deficit to 25-23.
After Noel Prefontaine booted a 39-yard field goal for Toronto, Ray drove Edmonton to the Argonauts 17 before fumbling and defensive end Jonathon Brown recovered late in the fourth quarter.
Troy Davis rushed for 189 yards on 22 carries for the Eskimos, who are winless in six games against Eastern opponents and fell to 1-7 on the road.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Eskimos QB White retires Mar 19
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Alouettes acquire Stamps from Eskimos Jan 16
- Mitchell, Stampeders trounce Eskimos to reach Grey Cup Nov 23
- Western Division Final pits Eskimos against Stampeders Nov 19
- Eskimos' White, Lawrence among CFL's best Nov 18
- Eskimos defeat Roughriders to reach Western final Nov 16
- Western Division Semifinal pits Riders against Eskimos Nov 12
- Three Stampeders nab CFL weekly honors Nov 11