Allen, Argonauts eliminate Eskimos from playoff contentionOct 15, 2006 - 1:19 AM EDMONTON, Alberta (Ticker) -- Damon Allen and the Toronto Argonauts proved all good things must come to an end - even for the Edmonton Eskimos.
Allen passed for two touchdowns as the Argonauts held on for a 28-25 triumph over the defending Grey Cup champion Eskimos.
With the victory, Toronto (10-6) eliminated Edmonton (5-11) from postseason contention. The Eskimos entered the season with a 34-year streak of qualifying for the playoffs, the longest active run of consecutive postseason appearances in North American professional sports.
Trailing, 10-7, the Argonauts took the lead for good when Allen found Andre Talbot for a nine-yard TD with 8:26 remaining in the third quarter.
Toronto added insurance four minutes into the final period when Allen connected with Arland Bruce for a 28-yard scoring strike, pushing the advantage to 21-10.
Edmonton would not go down without a fight, however, as Ricky Ray threw a 12-yard TD to Jason Tucker with 3:52 remaining. Ray found Tucker on the ensuing two-point conversion to trim the deficit to 21-18.
But Toronto all but sealed the victory when cornerback Byron Parker intercepted Ray and returned it for a 75-yard TD, extending the lead to 28-18 with 1:14 remaining.
The brother of NFL Hall of Famer Marcus Allen, Damon Allen completed 12-of-20 attempts for 223 yards. His favorite target was Tony Miles, who had 91 yards on five receptions for the Argonauts, who own a two-point lead over the Montreal Alouettes (9-7) for first place in the East Division.
Ray threw for 332 yards, a TD and two interceptions on 27-of-48 passing. Tucker had eight receptions for 136 yards for the Eskimos.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Eskimos QB White retires Mar 19
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Alouettes acquire Stamps from Eskimos Jan 16
- Mitchell, Stampeders trounce Eskimos to reach Grey Cup Nov 23
- Western Division Final pits Eskimos against Stampeders Nov 19
- Eskimos' White, Lawrence among CFL's best Nov 18
- Eskimos defeat Roughriders to reach Western final Nov 16
- Western Division Semifinal pits Riders against Eskimos Nov 12
- Three Stampeders nab CFL weekly honors Nov 11