Edwards' late TD helps Alouettes clinch divisionOct 28, 2006 - 11:51 PM TORONTO (Ticker) -- Robert Edwards and the Montreal Alouettes head into the CFL playoffs on a positive note.
Edwards scored the go-ahead touchdown late in the fourth quarter as the Alouettes rallied to clinch the East Division with a 24-20 victory over the Toronto Argonauts in the regular-season finale.
With the win, Montreal (10-8) doesn't have to take the field again until the division final on November 12, while Toronto awaits the results of the game between British Columbia and Winnipeg to find out whether it will host a semifinal game.
The Alouettes erased a nine-point deficit in the fourth quarter. Damon Duval made a 45-yard field goal and Edwards had an eight-yard touchdown run that capped a 10-play, 71-yard drive with 5:23 left for a 21-20 lead.
Duval's 28-yard kick with 39 seconds remaining helped seal the victory for Montreal, which improved to 2-2 under general manager Jim Popp, who took over on October 4 after Don Matthews resigned.
Alouettes quarterback Anthony Calvillo completed 17-of-27 passes for 233 yards, including a 65-yard TD score to Dave Stella in the second period.
Damon Allen threw for 209 yards on 16-of-29 attempts with a touchdown and an interception for the Argonauts (10-8), who were without Tony Miles (foot) and Jerome Davis (ribs) due to injuries.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Calgary comes calling on Montreal Jul 1
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Sam returns to CFL's Alouettes after absence Jun 29
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- RedBlacks clip Alouettes in CFL opener Jun 25
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Alouettes and RedBlacks kick off 2015 campaign Jun 24
- Alouettes place Michael Sam on suspended list Jun 15
- Sam leaves Alouettes camp for personal reasons Jun 12
- Sam signs two-year deal with CFL's Alouettes May 22
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Alouettes add Lewis, LeFevour Feb 25