Bishop comes off bench to spark ArgonautsNov 5, 2006 - 11:15 PM TORONTO (Ticker) -- Michael Bishop delivered the Toronto Argonauts to an Eastern Division final against the Montreal Alouettes.
Bishop replaced a battered Damon Allen in the fourth period and threw two touchdown passes to give the Argonauts a thrilling 31-27 victory over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the division semifinal.
After Allen departed midway through the final period, Bishop found Arland Bruce III for a 77-yard score with 7:34 remaining to cut the deficit to 27-24. After the Blue Bombers fumbled on their own 34, Bishop hit R. Jay Soward for a 14-yard score less than two minutes later.
Safety Orlondo Steinauer's interception of Winnipeg's Kevin Glenn at his 22-yard line with 44 seconds left sealed the victory.
Allen was 15-for-28 for 219 yards with a TD and an interception before leaving after taking a hard hit by the Blue Bomber's Doug Brown. Bishop was 3-for-5 for 110 yards. Bruce caught four balls for 138 yards.
Charles Roberts rushed 30 times for 179 yards and two scores, but his fourth-quarter fumble proved costly for Winnipeg. He scored twice in the third quarter to turn a 14-6 deficit into a 20-14 lead after three periods.
Glenn's 27-yard TD to Chris Brazzell increased the lead to 27-17 about 3 1/2 minutes into the fourth period. He threw for 224 yards on 12-of-22 passes but was picked off twice.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Bombers tangle with Tiger-Cats Jul 1
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Harris, Fuller, Willy named top performers for Week 1 Jun 30
- Blue Bombers down Roughriders Jun 27
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- Roughriders host Blue Bombers to open new season Jun 24
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Blue Bombers extend QB Willy May 1
- Owners of Bombers' stadium suing architect, builder Mar 4
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Bombers bring back Brohm Feb 17
- Bombers' Renaud calls it a career Feb 5