Edwards, Alouettes advance to second straight CFL title gameNov 13, 2006 - 12:12 AM MONTREAL (Ticker) -- Robert Edwards and the Montreal Alouettes are heading back to the Grey Cup championship for a second straight year.
Edwards rushed 24 times for 137 yards and a touchdown in leading the Alouettes to a 33-24 triumph over the Toronto Argonauts in the East Division final.
Montreal, which has defeated Toronto in four of the last five East finals, has earned its way into the CFL title game for the fifth time in the last seven years.
Edwards scored on a four-yard run in the second quarter to cap a nine-play, 67-yard drive which gave the Alouettes a 10-3 lead.
With Montreal leading, 13-3, early in the third quarter, Mark Estelle intercepted Toronto quarterback Michael Bishop and raced 78 yards for a touchdown and a 20-3 lead.
Toronto quarterback Anthony Calvillo completed 14-of-22 passes for 252 yards with one touchdown and an interception. He rushed four times for 23 yards.
Bishop completed 17-of-24 passes for 181 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. He connected with Arland Bruce and Michael Palmer for touchdown passes in the fourth quarter.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Calgary comes calling on Montreal Jul 1
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Sam returns to CFL's Alouettes after absence Jun 29
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- RedBlacks clip Alouettes in CFL opener Jun 25
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Alouettes and RedBlacks kick off 2015 campaign Jun 24
- Alouettes place Michael Sam on suspended list Jun 15
- Sam leaves Alouettes camp for personal reasons Jun 12
- Sam signs two-year deal with CFL's Alouettes May 22
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Alouettes add Lewis, LeFevour Feb 25