Astros rout CubsApr 13, 2011 - 6:47 AM
Pence finished the game 3-for-5 while knocking in four runs.
Brett Myers (1-0) earned his first win of the season after two no-decision appearances with seven strong innings where he allowed one run on eight hits and no walks while striking out five.
James Russell (1-1), making his first major league start because of Randy Wells and Andrew Cashner both being on the disabled list, lasted only 1 2/3 innings, allowing five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits.
"I got some unlucky breaks," Russell said. "A couple of mishaps got in the way."
Houston took the lead early when a Pence single scored Michael Bourn from second after Bourn and Angel Sanchez started the game with back-to-back bunt singles.
Sanchez and Pence then scored when Bill Hall hit a base hit into left field that was misplayed by Alfonso Soriano allowing Pence to take home when Hall avoided a tag by Darwin Barney in a rundown to give Houston a 3-0 lead.
A fielder's choice grounder to shortstop by Bourn scored Humberto Quintero, who led off the second inning with a double. Bourn then stole second and third base before scoring on an infield single by Pence to jump to a five-run lead.
Sanchez hit a single in the fourth that scored Myers and Bourn to continue the onslaught.
Houston finished its scoring in the eighth with an RBI pinch-hit single by Jason Bourgeois that scored Quintero after a leadoff triple. Pence's bases loaded double and Carlos Lee's RBI ground out made it an 11-1 game.
"We played well at everything tonight," Myers said.
A seventh inning, leadoff home run by Tyler Colvin and a Starlin Castro ground out that scored Geovany Soto from third in the ninth accounted for the Cubs' runs.
The Cubs had plenty of chances to catch up in the game but squandered them by stranding runners in scoring position in the fourth, sixth, and eighth innings. Altogether they hit 1-for-15 in those opportunities and left 10 men on base.
Marlon Byrd extended his hitting streak to nine games with his single in the first inning...Byrd went 3-for-3 before leaving the game for a defensive substitution...Myers has gone six-plus innings in 35 of his 36 starts as an Astro.
- CHICAGO: 2
Apr 12 11:11 PM
- Starlin Castro grounded out third to first scoring Geovany Soto. Runner on second with two outs and John Grabow due up.
Cubs 2, Astros 11 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 12 11:06 PM
- Carlos Lee grounded out third to first scoring Angel Sanchez. Runner on second with one out and Jason Michaels due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 11 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 12 10:54 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Bourgeois singled to right scoring Humberto Quintero. Runner on first with none out and Michael Bourn due up.
Cubs 1, Astros 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 12 10:51 PM
- Jeff Baker is pinch-hitting for Jeff Stevens.
Cubs 1, Astros 7 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 12 10:21 PM
- Angel Sanchez singled to right scoring Brett Myers and Michael Bourn. Runner on first with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 7 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 12 9:31 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to second scoring Michael Bourn. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Lee due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 12 8:54 PM
- Michael Bourn grounded into a fielder's choice, off pitcher to short to second scoring Humberto Quintero. Runner on first with one out and Angel Sanchez due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 4 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 12 8:48 PM
- Bill Hall singled to left scoring Angel Sanchez. On the play, Hall advances to second on Darwin Barney's missed tag error. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to third on Alfonso Soriano's fielding error. On the play, Hunter Pence scored on a runner's fielder's choice. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 12 8:35 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to left scoring Michael Bourn. Runners on first and second with none out and Carlos Lee due up.
Cubs 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 12 8:22 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 12 8:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21