Johnson's HR in 11th lifts Cubs over PadresApr 21, 2011 - 1:50 AM
The Cubs' only other run came in the bottom of the third, as Marlon Byrd singled up the middle to score starter Matt Garza. Kosuke Fukudome, who entered the game in the seventh, went 2-for-2 on the day.
Garza turned in a masterful performance, pitching six scoreless innings striking out nine in an eventual no-decision. Reliever Carlos Marmol suffered his second blown save of the season after failing to close out the Padres in the top of the ninth.
"He's a power pitcher obviously and he throws the ball in the mid-90s, but you're seeing him throw some unbelievable change ups and his slider," Cubs manager Mike Quade said of Garza. "I mean, as he commands all those, he should have dominant stuff and he was real good today."
Jason Bartlett went 3-for-4 for San Diego and drove in Cameron Maybin with a sacrifice fly to account for the team's only run.
Dustin Moseley went six strong innings for San Diego, allowing one unearned run, while striking out four. Luke Gregerson (0-1) took the loss after allowing the decisive home run.
After combining for just one run and 10 hits through 10 innings in Monday's opener, the Cubs and Padres again struggled to produce at the plate. Chicago broke through in the third, however, as Geovany Soto doubled down the left field line to begin the frame. Garza followed with a hard bunt back to Moseley, who adeptly fired to third to retire Soto. The next batter, Starlin Castro, grounded to Moseley, who went to second in an attempt to turn two, but Barlett couldn't hang onto the ball. After a fielder's choice left runners at the corners, Byrd singled up the middle to score Garza.
The Padres, loaded the bases in both the sixth and seventh innings, but were unable to capitalize, before finally breaking through in dramatic fashion in the top of the ninth.
Cameron Maybin reached on a one-out walk and stole second, Will Venable bunted for a hit, effectively advancing Maybin to third base. Bartlett then atoned for his earlier error by driving Maybin home with a deep fly to center field.
Jeff Samardzija (1-0) turned in two innings of scoreless ball in extras to earn the win, allowing Johnson to deliver the walk-off home run.
"There's a lot of fight in us," said Garza. "You know, we don't quit after nine (innings). We play hard until they ring that final bell or we get that final out."
The Padres were 2-for-11 with men in scoring position and left 16 runners on base...Wednesday's win marked just the second time this season that the Cubs have recorded back-to-back victories...Moseley entered the game with an 0-3 record despite posting a 1.83 ERA...This contest marked the first of nine in an eight day stretch for San Diego.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Apr 20 6:22 PM
- Reed Johnson lead-off Home Run (1) to left to win the game.
Padres 1, Cubs 2 Bot 11, 0 OutsApr 20 6:22 PM
- Jason Bartlett sacrifice fly to center scored Cameron Maybin with two out. Runner on second and Orlando Hudson due up.
Padres 1, Cubs 1 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 20 5:20 PM
- Marlon Byrd singled to center scoring Matt Garza with two out. Runners on first and second and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Padres 0, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 20 3:14 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 2:22 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22