Byrd, Zambrano lead Cubs to victoryMay 4, 2011 - 11:41 PM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Marlon Byrd hit a three-run homer to back eight stellar innings from Carlos Zambrano, as the Chicago Cubs topped the Los Angeles Dodgers, 5-1, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Zambrano (4-1) gave up one run on five hits and a walk, and struck out four to earn the victory. He has won his last 10 road starts dating back to last season.
"I felt good in the pen," Zambrano said. "My delivery was nice and easy today. When you feel like that you're in the zone."
Geovany Soto and Carlos Pena added solo shots for the Cubs, who have won four of six.
Ted Lilly (2-3) took the loss after allowing all five Chicago runs in six innings. He gave up eight total hits, walked one and fanned four as Los Angeles lost for the fourth time in five games.
There was no change to the 29-game hitting streak of the Dodgers' Andre Ethier, who was scratched with elbow inflammation.
"It's just sore. It's been sore the last couple of days," Ethier said. "It's more tender on the throwing than hitting. Last night it was sore after the game."
Ethier indicated he injured it during a series against St. Louis in mid-April, and will have the elbow checked in New York. The Dodgers face the Mets in a three-game series starting Friday.
After four scoreless innings, Soto put the Cubs on the board with a two-out blast in the fifth. He ripped a fastball, which Lilly threw down the middle of the plate, to left center field for his third home run of the season.
Pena opened the sixth with his second homer, and Zambrano followed with a base hit. A one-out single by Darwin Barney set the stage for Byrd, who blasted a first-pitch inside fastball to left. It was his first homer of the year and put Chicago up 5-0.
Tony Gwynn Jr. began the bottom of the sixth with a double, moved to third on an Aaron Miles single and scored on Jay Gibbons' sacrifice fly.
But Zambrano got Matt Kemp to ground into an inning-ending double play, then held the Dodgers in check over his final two innings. Sean Marshall pitched a scoreless ninth to secure the win.
Lilly has faced the Cubs, his former team, twice this season. He has allowed 10 runs and 19 hits in 10 1/3 innings...Dodgers closer Jonathan Broxton is scheduled to have an MRI exam on his sore right elbow. He was pulled from Tuesday's game against Chicago after three batters...LA won the first series of the season, taking two of three in Chicago from April 22-24.
- CHICAGO: 5
LOS ANGELES: 1
May 4 5:43 PM
- Jay Gibbons sacrifice fly out to left scored Tony Gwynn Jr.. Runner on first with one out and Matt Kemp due up.
Cubs 5, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 4 4:48 PM
- Marlon Byrd one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Carlos Zambrano and Darwin Barney. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 5, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 4 4:34 PM
- Carlos Pena lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Carlos Zambrano due up.
Cubs 2, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 4 4:27 PM
- Geovany Soto two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 4 4:18 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 3:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22