Descalso's hit in 8th helps Cards get by CubsMay 11, 2011 - 5:49 AM
Nick Punto went 2-for-4 while driving in a run and scoring another for the Cardinals, who won for the fourth time in five games.
Chris Carpenter (1-2) picked up his first win of the season despite allowing 13 hits and four runs in his seven-inning start, while Kerry Wood (1-2) took the loss in relief of Carlos Zambrano.
"Every win is a big win, especially against teams in your division," Carpenter said.
Zambrano also gave up four runs in seven frames, though he only have up eight hits. Aramis Ramirez went 3-for-5 with two RBI in defeat, Chicago's third in four games.
With two outs and the bases loaded in the eighth, Descalso hit Wood's high 91- m.p.h offering into right field to bring in Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday to break a 4-4 tie.
After Miguel Batista worked a scoreless eighth, Eduardo Sanchez closed it out in the ninth, surviving a two-out walk to Carlos Pena to post his fourth save of the season.
Both starters struggled in the first inning before getting out of bases-loaded jams with minimal damage.
Holliday singled past a diving Starlin Castro at short to plate Colby Rasmus in the away half, and Ramirez dribbled one up the middle to score Kosuke Fukudome and Darwin Barney to give the Cubs the lead.
The Cardinals went ahead with two runs in the fourth, though they could have had more. Lance Berkman walked with one away and came around on a double by Yadier Molina, who trotted home when Alfonso Soriano slipped trying to catch a line drive from Punto.
"I'm more upset about the defensive [errors]," Cubs manager Mike Quade said.
Punto was credited with a triple and appeared to score on Descalso's flyout to center, but was ruled to have left third base early on the appeal, keeping it a 3-2 game.
Ryan Theriot, who spent the first five-plus years of his career with the Cubs, added a sacrifice fly in the seventh, but the Cubs got two of their own in the bottom half on Pena's sac fly and Castro's RBI bloop single to right.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa has been diagnosed with shingles and will be away from the team for the foreseeable future. Bench coach Joe Pettini, third base coach Jose Oquendo and pitching coach Dave Duncan will handle managerial duties until La Russa is able to return...Carpenter has given up at least 10 hits in his last three starts...Cubs catcher Geovany Soto left the game in the first inning with an injured groin...Pujols had four hits, while Barney went 3-for-4.
- ST. LOUIS: 6
May 10 11:02 PM
- Daniel Descalso double to right scored Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday with two out. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Carpenter due up.
Cardinals 6, Cubs 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 10 10:24 PM
- Starlin Castro single to right scored Marlon Byrd with two out. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Koyie Hill due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 10 10:10 PM
- Ryan Theriot sacrifice fly to right scored Nick Punto with two out. On the play, Daniel Descalso advances to third. Runner on third and Colby Rasmus due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 10 9:59 PM
- Carlos Zambrano singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:18 PM
- Yadier Molina double to right scored Lance Berkman with one out. Runner on second and Nick Punto due up.
Cardinals 2, Cubs 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:10 PM
- Aramis Ramirez single to center scored Kosuke Fukudome and Darwin Barney with none out. On the play, Marlon Byrd advances to third. Runners on first and third and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 10 8:30 PM
- Matt Holliday single to left scored Colby Rasmus with one out. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on second and third and Lance Berkman due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 10 8:17 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 8:07 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21