Late offensive outburst helps Cubs down GiantsMay 14, 2011 - 12:44 AM
Johnson finished 3-for-5 and drove in four runs overall for the Cubs, who had opened their nine-game homestand with series losses to the Reds and Cardinals.
But they are in a good position to win this closing set after totaling 14 hits Friday. Starlin Castro and Darwin Barney set the tone at the top of Chicago's lineup, combining for six hits and five RBI.
Ryan Dempster (2-4) got the win after limiting San Francisco to two runs in six innings, and struck out a season-high 11 batters. He also snapped a six- game home losing streak dating back to August 31 of last season.
Madison Bumgarner (0-6) allowed only three runs in six innings, and took the loss after the Giants bullpen suffered a rare breakdown. San Francisco's relievers had thrown 22 scoreless innings over the last nine games, helping the club go 8-1.
But the bullpen failed to keep the game close Friday.
"The wins and losses [are] something I'm not going to concern myself with," Bumgarner said. "I want to go out there and keep us in the game and give us a chance to win."
The Cubs held a 3-2 edge heading into the bottom of the seventh, when Jeremy Affeldt took the mound for San Francisco. Pinch-hitter Kosuke Fukudome started Chicago's rally with a one-out walk, moved to second on a Castro single, and scored on Barney's double to right.
The ineffective Affeldt then hit Marlon Byrd with a pitch, prompting the Giants to bring in Guillermo Mota. After Jeff Baker singled to plate a run, Mota struck out Alfonso Soriano.
But he couldn't get San Francisco out of the inning without further damage, as Johnson followed with a triple to right field, making it an 8-2 contest.
"I had to tell myself ... it's a big situation, just settle down, do the things you've been doing the whole game to hit the ball," Johnson said.
Cody Ross' two-run homer in the eighth trimmed the Giants' deficit to four, but the Cubs tacked on three more runs in the home half. With Dan Runzler on the mound, Castro smacked an RBI double before scoring on Barney's base hit. Johnson's run-scoring single later in the inning provided the final margin.
The Giants got their first two runs thanks to first baseman Aubrey Huff, who hit an RBI single in the first inning and a run-scoring double in the fifth.
However, Chicago held the lead thanks to a three-run third. Koyie Hill plated a run with a sacrifice bunt, while Castro and Barney had RBI hits.
Dempster gave up six total hits and walked one...Bumgarner allowed five hits, walked two and struck out six...Andres Torres had three hits for San Francisco, including a triple...The Giants went 5-2 against the Cubs last season...The Cubs hadn't won a series-opener since April 18 against San Diego.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 4
May 13 5:31 PM
- Reed Johnson singled to center scoring Darwin Barney with two out. On the play, Marlon Byrd advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Pena due up.
Giants 4, Cubs 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 13 5:21 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to right scoring Starlin Castro with none out. Runner on first and Marlon Byrd due up.
Giants 4, Cubs 10 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 13 5:15 PM
- Starlin Castro doubled to left scoring Kosuke Fukudome with none out. Runner on second and Darwin Barney due up.
Giants 4, Cubs 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 13 5:13 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Nate Schierholtz. Mike Fontenot due up.
Giants 4, Cubs 8 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 13 5:06 PM
- Reed Johnson tripled to right scoring Darwin Barney, Marlon Byrd and Jeff Baker with two out. Runner on third and Carlos Pena due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 13 4:52 PM
- Jeff Baker singled to left scoring Starlin Castro with one out. On the play, Marlon Byrd advances to second and Darwin Barney advances to third. Bases loaded and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 13 4:48 PM
- Darwin Barney doubled to right scoring Kosuke Fukudome with one out. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to third. Runners on second and third and Marlon Byrd due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 4 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 13 4:42 PM
- Aubrey Huff doubled to left scoring Andres Torres with two out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 3 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 13 3:58 PM
- Marlon Byrd grounded into a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Starlin Castro out at third to end the inning.
Giants 1, Cubs 3 End 2May 13 3:16 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to right scoring Reed Johnson with two out. On the play, Ryan Dempster advances to third. Runners on first and third and Darwin Barney due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 13 3:16 PM
- Koyie Hill sacrifice bunt to third scored Alfonso Soriano with two out. On the play, Reed Johnson advances to second. Runner on second and Ryan Dempster due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 13 3:10 PM
- Aubrey Huff singled to center scoring Andres Torres with one out. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 13 2:31 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 2:24 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21