Gomes, Reds deep-six CubsMay 17, 2011 - 5:33 AM
Scott Rolen had the game-tying run-scoring double while Jay Bruce went 2-for-4 with an RBI for Cincinnati, which kept the momentum going after sweeping St. Louis in a three-game series over the weekend. The Reds have won four straight and 10 of 12 overall.
Homer Bailey (3-0), making only his third start of the season, grinded through six innings, allowing six hits and four runs -- three earned. The right-hander walked three and fanned four. Francisco Cordero locked the game down with a perfect ninth to earn his eighth save of the season.
"I'll take getting seven runs in the sixth any day," Bailey said. "I knew somehow, some way at the end of the game it was going to be tight."
Carlos Pena clubbed a two-run homer for the Cubs, who have dropped five of their last seven games. Darwin Barney went 3-for-4 with an RBI.
Carlos Zambrano (4-2) was touched for six runs on six hits, with three walks and three strikeouts, in 5 1/3 innings.
"I don't like the performance for myself," Zambrano said. "As a starter, I have to get better."
Bailey walked the bases loaded with one out in the first, but got out of trouble unscathed when he struck out Alfonso Soriano and Marlon Byrd.
Starting pitching limited the offensive chances until the Cubs put up two in the fifth to open the scoring.
With runners on the corners and nobody out, Zambrano hit a high chopper to third base that Rolen fielded and threw off the mark to the plate, allowing one to come home. Later in the inning with one out, Barney singled to right to bring in another.
Pena's two-run homer to right in the sixth made it a 4-0 game, but Cincinnati exploded for seven in the home half, sending 12 men to the plate.
Drew Stubbs got the inning started with a one-out single and Edgar Renteria walked before Joey Votto's RBI base hit got the Reds on the board. Brandon Phillips and Bruce each chased in a run with singles and Rolen followed with a run-scoring double to tie the game. Zambrano was replaced by Marcos Mateo, who uncorked a wild pitch, allowing Bruce to come in with the go-ahead run. Gomes' two-run shot to right-center gave the Reds a 7-4 lead.
Sam LeCure and Bill Bray combined to work a scoreless seventh and eighth inning to bridge the gap for Cordero, who took over for the ninth and tossed a perfect inning to close out the game.
Earlier on Monday, the Reds placed left-handed reliever Aroldis Chapman on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his pitching shoulder and recalled right-hander Jordan Smith from its Triple-A affiliate in Louisville... Cincinnati took two of three from the Cubs earlier in the year after taking 12 of the 16 meetings in 2010...Bailey improved to 2-2 in five career starts against the Cubs...Despite taking the loss, Zambrano is still an impressive 16-11 in 31 lifetime starts and five relief outings against Cincinnati.
- CHICAGO: 4
May 16 10:04 PM
- Jonny Gomes one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right center scored Scott Rolen. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 7 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:06 PM
- Scott Rolen advances to third on a wild pitch. Jay Bruce scored on a wild pitch.. Runner on third with one out and Jonny Gomes at the plate.
Cubs 4, Reds 5 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:05 PM
- Scott Rolen doubled to left scored Brandon Phillips. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jonny Gomes due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:02 PM
- Jay Bruce singled to right scored Joey Votto. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Scott Rolen due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 8:59 PM
- Brandon Phillips singled to left scored Edgar Renteria. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 8:58 PM
- Joey Votto singled to left scored Drew Stubbs. On the play, Edgar Renteria advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 1 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 8:56 PM
- Carlos Pena one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Marlon Byrd. Koyie Hill due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 16 8:42 PM
- Starlin Castro flied out to right. Runners on first and third with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 16 8:27 PM
- Carlos Zambrano reached first on Scott Rolen's throwing error. On the play, Carlos Pena scored on the error, Koyie Hill advances to third, and Carlos Zambrano advances to second. Runners on second and third with none out and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 16 8:25 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21