Cubs beat Marlins againMay 20, 2011 - 6:37 AM
Reed Johnson drove in the other run while Casey Coleman (2-3) gave up four hits and five walks with seven strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings for the Cubs, who came into the series having lost three in a row.
Mike Stanton's home run accounted for the only run for the Marlins, who left 12 on base and have lost three of four. Chris Volstad (2-3) was touched for three runs on four hits over five innings.
"He did good for five innings," said Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez. "Too bad we're looking for more offense."
Chicago got on board in the second as Carlos Pena led off with a double and came home on a Johnson double for a 1-0 lead.
Byrd made it a 3-0 game in the fourth after Aramis Ramirez doubled with his third home run of the season.
"Somehow I've been getting to the inside pitch the past couple days; put a good swing on it," Byrd said. "When you're going well, good things happen."
After a pair of two-out walks in the sixth, Coleman left the game for Scott Maine, who got pinch-hitter Wes Helms to fly out.
John Grabow threw a scoreless seventh inning while Kerry Wood gave up a one- out homer to Stanton in the eighth that got Florida on the board.
A two-run double from Castro in the ninth made it a four-run game and Carlos Marmol worked around a one-out single in the ninth to close the game.
The Cubs took four of six from the Marlins last season...Chicago begins interleague play in Boston on Friday...Florida hosts state rival Tampa Bay for three games...Coleman had dropped his previous three decisions...Volstad is 0-2 in six games against the Cubs.
- CHICAGO: 5
May 19 10:19 PM
- Starlin Castro double to center scored Koyie Hill and Kosuke Fukudome. Runner on second with two out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 5, Marlins 1 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 19 10:06 PM
- Mike Stanton one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. John Buck due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 1 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 19 9:50 PM
- Marlon Byrd one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Aramis Ramirez. Reed Johnson due up.
Cubs 3, Marlins 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 19 8:14 PM
- Reed Johnson double to left scored Carlos Pena. Runner on second with one out and Koyie Hill due up.
Cubs 1, Marlins 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 19 7:39 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 19 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21