Bourn's hit lifts Astros over CubsJun 1, 2011 - 11:53 PM
Bourn finished 2-for-5 with a pair of steals while Jason Michaels hit a solo homer for Houston, which earned its first three-game sweep of the Cubs since September 1-3, 2008.
Brett Myers (2-4) worked six effective innings, giving up only one run on three hits with two walks and three strikeouts. The right-hander had dropped four straight decisions over an eight-start span coming into the contest. Mark Melancon worked a scoreless ninth to record his fourth save of the season.
"We've been struggling a little bit, so hopefully now we can try to get this thing on track and start winning series," Myers said. "This is a boost for us."
Kosuke Fukudome had a homer to account for the only offense for the Cubs, who have lost five of six.
Doug Davis (0-4) allowed eight hits and three runs with five strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings. The veteran lefty did not issue a walk.
Fukudome's lead-off homer to straight away center in the first gave the Cubs an early advantage, but Michaels tied things with a two-out shot to right in the second.
Houston stranded a runner in scoring position in the fifth, then pushed two across in the seventh to go in front, 3-1.
Jeff Keppinger started the inning with a base hit and two batters later Chris Johnson reached on a bad hop single that bounced off the side of the face of a diving third baseman Aramis Ramirez, who was forced to leave the game. Kerry Wood replaced Davis and walked J.R. Towles to load the bases. The veteran right-hander struck out Angel Sanchez and was lifted in favor of Sean Marshall.
Bourn stepped in and laced a first-pitch curveball to right to bring in a pair. Clint Barmes then went down on strikes to end the inning.
"They played well all series," Marshall said. "We wound up on the short end of the stick and got swept. Nobody is happy around here, but we can't dwell on it."
Sergio Escalona and Enerio Del Rosario combined to throw a scoreless seventh and eighth inning before Melancon took the hill for the bottom of the ninth. The young righty walked Carlos Pena leading off then retired the next three batters to preserve the victory.
The Cubs took two of three meetings with Houston at Minute Maid Park from April 11-13 of this season. The Astros went 11-7 in last year's series with the Cubs...Myers improved to 7-0 in his last eight starts against the Cubs and is now 12-3 lifetime with one save versus Chicago...Davis fell to 3-12 all- time against Houston.
- HOUSTON: 3
Jun 1 5:10 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to right scoring Jeff Keppinger and Chris Johnson with two out. On the play, J.R. Towles advances to third. Runners on first and third with Clint Barmes due up.
Astros 3, Cubs 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 1 4:19 PM
- Jason Michaels two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 1 2:37 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Darwin Barney due up.
Astros 0, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 1 2:26 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 2:21 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21