Berkman, Pujols go deep as Cards top CubsJun 4, 2011 - 5:19 AM
Garcia (6-1) was coming off a horrid 3 1/3-inning outing at Colorado, in which he allowed 11 hits and 11 earned runs. The lefty followed that up by yielding just four hits to the Cubs and fanning eight batters.
"[Garcia] had command of all his pitches. He didn't throw many balls in the middle of the plate and had a lot of different variations," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "He was outstanding."
Ryan Dempster (4-5) was pounded for eight hits and six runs over five innings to have his three-decision winning streak snapped.
The Cubs, who totaled five hits, suffered their fourth consecutive defeat.
Ryan Theriot extended his career-best hitting streak to 17 games with a double to right leading off the bottom of the first. Pujols walked with one out, and Berkman followed by blasting a 1-1 offering over the wall in right.
Skip Schumaker scored on a Dempster wild pitch in the fourth before the Cubs got their only run in the fifth on a Lou Montanez double.
"I put us in a hole tonight, and when you do that against a really good pitcher you aren't going to win a lot of games," Dempster said.
Pujols reached a milestone in the bottom of the frame. Jon Jay singled to lead off, and Pujols then homered to left, his 100th of his career at the current Busch Stadium and his 10th overall this season.
The Cubs put two men on base with one out in the eighth, but were turned away on fly outs from Kosuke Fukudome and Darwin Barney.
Theriot has the longest hitting streak for the Cardinals since Juan Encarnacion and So Taguchi each had 17-gamers in 2007...St. Louis is 3-1 this season against the Cubs...Cardinals manager Tony La Russa needs six games managed in regular season play to reach the 5,000 career plateau, joining Connie Mack (7,755) as the only managers/coaches in American professional sports history to have reached that milestone...Garcia has a 0.46 ERA at home this season.
- CHICAGO: 1
ST. LOUIS: 6
Jun 3 10:50 PM
- Albert Pujols none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Jon Jay. Lance Berkman due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 3 9:41 PM
- Tyler Colvin struck out swinging on a foul tip. Runner on third with two outs and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 3 9:32 PM
- With Ryan Theriot batting, Skip Schumaker scored on a Ryan Dempster wild pitch with two out. Daniel Descalso advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with two outs and Ryan Theriot at the plate.
Cubs 0, Cardinals 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 3 9:21 PM
- Lance Berkman one-out, three-run Home Run (12) to right center scored Ryan Theriot and Albert Pujols. Yadier Molina due up.
Cubs 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 3 8:29 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 3 8:17 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21