Pujols blasts Cardinals past Cubs in extrasJun 5, 2011 - 4:38 AM
Lance Berkman chipped in with a hit and an RBI and Matt Carpenter added a double, his first career hit in his first major league start, helping the Cardinals to their second straight win to open the three-game series.
Eduardo Sanchez (2-1) threw two scoreless innings to pick up the win for St. Louis.
Kosuke Fukudome had three hits and an RBI and Carlos Pena added two hits, including his eighth home run of the season for Chicago in a losing effort.
Jeff Samardzija (3-2) gave up the winning hit to absorb the loss and push the Cubs' losing streak to five games.
Cardinals starter Kyle Lohse tossed 5 2/3 innings, giving up four runs on 11 hits while walking one and striking out five.
Chicago starter Randy Wells went 5 2/3 innings and gave up four runs on only three hits while striking out one and walking one.
The Cardinals' winning moment came with two outs after Ryan Theriot flew out and Jon Jay lined out, as Pujols stepped up and deposited a hanging slider from Samardzija over the wall in left-center field.
"It wasn't a bad pitch. I was just thinking to hit the ball hard in the middle and not pull the ball, so that, hopefully, we can all go home happy," Pujols said about his last at-bat.
St. Louis opened the scoring in the fourth. Theriot led off the inning with a walk, and Pujols followed one batter later by blasting a 2-1 pitch by Wells deep into the seats in center to give the Cardinals a 2-0 lead.
Chicago took the lead with four runs in the sixth. Starlin Castro led off with a single and Pena followed with a rocket into the center-field seats to tie the game at two.
The Cubs weren't done, however. Geovany Soto laced a one-out double to left- center and Tony Campana singled to center to score Soto. Wells singled to right, followed by a Fukudome ground-rule double to score Campana.
St. Louis tied the game with two runs in the sixth. Theriot stroked a one-out single to right and scored on an RBI double by Pujols, which cut the Cubs' lead to 4-3, and Berkman followed with an RBI single to center to score Pujols and knot the game at four.
"I thought we made a couple pitches there but if a guy like that is hitting, whatever you think is a good pitch, it probably has to be a little bit better," Samardzija said about Pujols.
The Cardinals loaded the bases with one out in the 10th after Theriot reached on an error by Blake DeWitt, Jay singled and Pujols was intentionally walked. Carlos Marmol came in and struck out Berkman and got pinch-hitter Tony Cruz to fly out.
This is the second of a 10-game road trip for Chicago...Cardinals outfielder Allen Craig went 1-for-3 and has hit safely in 13 of his last 16 games...Theriot extended his hitting streak to a career-high 18 games with a single in the sixth inning...The Cubs are 11-14 on the road this season...Chicago's 3-4-5 hitters have combined for only 10 home runs, the fewest total from that portion of the lineup in baseball...Pujols' home run was his third in his last six games...The Cubs are 2-1 in extra-inning games, St. Louis is 4-4...The walk-off home run for Pujols was the ninth of his career.
- CHICAGO: 4
ST. LOUIS: 5
Jun 4 8:01 PM
- Lance Berkman singled to right scoring Albert Pujols. Runner on first with two outs and Colby Rasmus due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 4 5:59 PM
- Sean Marshall enters the game for the Cubs with a runner on second and two out.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 4 5:56 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome hit a ground-rule double to left scoring Tony Campana. On the play, Randy Wells advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 4 5:40 PM
- Tony Campana singled to center scoring Geovany Soto. Runner on first with two outs and Randy Wells due up.
Cubs 3, Cardinals 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 4 5:37 PM
- Carlos Pena none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to center scored Starlin Castro. Blake DeWitt due up.
Cubs 2, Cardinals 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 4 5:29 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to center scored Ryan Theriot. Lance Berkman due up.
Cubs 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 4 5:07 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 4 4:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21