Take 2: Pujols blasts Cardinals past Cubs in extrasJun 6, 2011 - 12:26 AM
Pujols also homered in the 12th inning of Saturday's game to give the Cardinals a 5-4 victory in the second installment of the series.
Ryan Theriot hit an RBI double in the ninth to extend the game, and Fernando Salas (3-0) was given the win when he pitched a scoreless 10th inning. Starter Chris Carpenter allowed two runs on seven hits and two walks through nine innings. He also struck out six in the Cardinals' fourth win in six games.
Rodrigo Lopez (0-1) took the mound in the 10th and gave up the home run to Pujols, the only batter he faced. Carlos Zambrano went seven innings, allowing one run on five hits and two walks while striking out three in the Cubs' eighth loss in their last nine games.
"We should know better than this. We're playing like a Triple-A team. This is embarrassing for the team, embarrassing for the owners, embarrassing for the fans," Zambrano said about the loss.
Pujols lead off the 10th and smacked a 2-1 fastball over the left-center field wall to give the Cardinals the go-ahead run.
St. Louis knotted the game up in the ninth off of closer Carlos Marmol. Yadier Molina led off the inning with a single and was replaced by pinch-runner Tony Cruz. Marmol then got Daniel Descalso to strike out on a check-swing and Colby Rasmus to fan on a low-and-inside slider before Theriot doubled down the left- field line to score Cruz and tie the game at two.
"I was looking for the slider the whole time. He started me off with two fastballs, though, and I was lucky to get a slider I was able to handle and I put a good swing on it," said Theriot.
Darwin Barney and Starlin Castro hit back-to-back singles to lead off the fourth before both came around to score two batters later when Aramis Ramirez doubled to right-center field and gave the Cubs a 2-0 lead.
Pujols hit a one-out infield single in the sixth, moved to second on a single by Jon Jay and came around to score on a third straight single by Allen Craig to put the Cardinals on the board.
Theriot extended his hitting streak to a career-high 19 games...Zambrano threw 73 of his 107 pitches for strikes while Carpenter threw 84 of his 118 pitches for strikes.
- CHICAGO: 2
ST. LOUIS: 3
Jun 5 5:12 PM
- Albert Pujols lead-off Home Run (13) to left center to end the game.
Cubs 2, Cardinals 3 Bot 10, 0 OutsJun 5 5:09 PM
- Ryan Theriot double to left scored Tony Cruz. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Carpenter due up.
Cubs 2, Cardinals 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 5 4:54 PM
- Skip Schumaker flied out to left. Runners on first and second with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Cubs 2, Cardinals 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 5 4:00 PM
- Blake DeWitt grounded out second to first. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Tyler Colvin due up.
Cubs 2, Cardinals 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 5 3:08 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 2:16 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21