Volquez leads Reds over CubsJun 8, 2011 - 5:24 AM
Volquez (4-2), who was recalled from Triple-A Louisville on Tuesday after being sent down on May 23, allowed seven hits and two walks while striking out five.
Miguel Cairo added his second career grand slam for the Reds, who won for the fifth time in eight games.
"I got lucky he threw the pitch I was looking for. He threw it over the plate and I hit it hard. I was trying to drive the ball hard somewhere. I was just lucky," said Cairo.
Doug Davis (0-5) took the loss, allowing four runs on seven hits and three walks in 4 1/3 innings as the Cubs had their season-high losing streak extended to eight games.
"We can't get any follow through. We haven't had a game like earlier in the year when we had big wins and were talking about contributions from all over the place. That hasn't been the case here lately," said Cubs manager Mike Quade.
Davis has dropped decisions in each of his five outings since joining the Cubs after spending last season with the Milwaukee Brewers.
Aramis Ramirez led off the Chicago second with a double and Blake DeWitt followed with a double of his own to plate Ramirez. A Geovany Soto single and a Kosuke Fukudome walk loaded the bases with two outs, but Darwin Barney hit a weak grounder to second to end the inning and keep it a one-run game.
Paul Janish singled to start the third and advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Volquez. Drew Stubbs then doubled to score Janish and tie the game at one.
The Reds took a 2-1 lead in the fourth after Jay Bruce hit a lead-off single, moved to third on a base hit by Cairo and crossed the plate on a sacrifice fly by Ramon Hernandez.
Cincinnati loaded the bases with no outs in the fifth after back-to-back singles by Volquez and Stubbs and a walk by Brandon Phillips. Joey Votto then earned a free pass to bring in Volquez. Next, Davis fanned Bruce on a high fastball before being taken off the mound.
Rodrigo Lopez replaced Davis and gave up a sacrifice fly to deep right field by Jonny Gomes that allowed Stubbs to take home. A Cairo groundout to second ended the inning and it was a 4-1 game.
The Reds put the game away in the seventh on Cairo's grand slam to left field off of reliever John Grabow.
Chicago added a run in the ninth on a pinch-hit RBI single by Lou Montanez.
The Reds also optioned pitcher Daryl Thompson to Louisville on Tuesday to make room for Volquez...Bruce extended his hit streak to nine games...Volquez is now 4-0 in six career starts against the Cubs...Chicago has been outscored 52-22 during their losing streak.
- CHICAGO: 2
Jun 7 10:06 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Lou Montanez singled to center scored Blake DeWitt. Runner on first with none out and Geovany Soto due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 8 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 7 10:01 PM
- Miguel Cairo one-out, Grand Slam (2) to left scored Brandon Phillips, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce. Ramon Hernandez due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 8 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 7 9:33 PM
- Miguel Cairo grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short On the play, Joey Votto out at second to end the inning.
Cubs 1, Reds 4 End 5Jun 7 9:00 PM
- Joey Votto walked. Edinson Volquez scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Jay Bruce due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 7 8:52 PM
- Ramon Hernandez sacrifice fly out to right scored Jay Bruce. Runner on first with two outs and Paul Janish due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 7 8:28 PM
- Drew Stubbs doubled to left scored Paul Janish. Runner on second with one out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 7 8:10 PM
- Geovany Soto singled to right. On the play, Blake DeWitt advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Doug Davis due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 7 7:36 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 7:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21