Swisher's HR helps Yankees take rubber match from CubsJun 20, 2011 - 5:24 AM
He knocked the third one into the seats.
Swisher hit a three-run homer in the eighth inning Sunday night, snapping a tie and leading the Yankees to a 10-4 victory over the Cubs in the rubber match of an interleague series at Wrigley Field.
After Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano singled off Sean Marshall (3-2), Swisher looked at two high-and-outside pitches from Chris Carpenter before drilling a fastball over the plate past the wall in right field.
It made a winner out of CC Sabathia and moved the Yankees to 8-2 in their last 10 games. They won the last two games of the series, improving to 8-2 in their last 10 on the road.
Sabathia (9-4) was pulled for a pinch-hitter in the eighth. He gave up four runs on eight hits and a walk, striking out three in seven good-enough innings to improve to 18-7 in 39 career interleague starts, all against NL teams.
"It's not really hard when you got the offense that we have and you can really believe that if you can stop it right here, we got a good chance of winning," said Sabathia. "Some other teams that you play on, it's tough. But with this offense that we have and the guys we have in the lineup, if you can stop the bleeding, you got a really good chance of winning the game."
Brett Gardner led the game off with a home run and Rodriguez had three hits, three runs scored and an RBI for New York.
Alfonso Soriano hit a three-run homer for the Cubs, who fell to 6-14 in their last 20 games. Starter Randy Wells gave up five hits, four walks and struck out three in six innings, leaving with the game tied at 4-4 in a no-decision.
"It was a fun series to be a part of," said Wells. "We played so well, it's a shame tonight ended like it did, because I thought we played some great baseball."
Gardner fell behind 0-2 in his leadoff at-bat, but smacked a homer to right field to give the Yankees a 1-0 lead. The Cubs tied the game in the bottom of the first when Reed Johnson led off with a double, went to third on Starlin Castro's fly ball and scored on Jeff Baker's ground out.
Castro and Aramis Ramirez singled in front of Soriano's homer in the third inning, which gave Chicago a 4-1 lead. Soriano's two-out blast -- a moon shot that landed in the left field seats -- was his 14th of the season.
The Yankees scratched out two runs in the fourth inning on Swisher's RBI single and Eduardo Nunez's bases-loaded grounder, which scored Cano from third.
They added a run and tied the game at 4-4 in the sixth after Rodriguez led off with a single, went to second on a ground out, moved to third on Swisher's single and scored on Russell Martin's sacrifice fly to right field.
After Swisher's homer made it 7-4, David Robertson walked two Cubs with one out in the bottom of the eighth. Soriano and Geovany Soto moved up on Carlos Pena's ground out, but Robertson got pinch-hitter Blake DeWitt on a pop-up to Rodriguez at third to end the inning.
Gardner led off the ninth with a double and scored on Curtis Granderson's triple. James Russell was replaced by Rodrigo Lopez, who gave up back-to-back doubles to Mark Teixeira and Rodriguez for two more runs.
Chicago put its first two runners on in the bottom of the ninth and loaded the bases with two outs against Jeff Marquez, but couldn't score.
Sabathia has won 10 of his last 12 interleague decisions. He improved to 2-2 against the Cubs...Chicago finished 4-3 on a seven-game homestand...Ramirez had four hits for the Cubs...Gardner, Rodriguez and Swisher combined for nine of New York's 13 hits (three apiece).
- NEW YORK: 10
Jun 19 11:29 PM
- Alex Rodriguez doubled to left center scored Mark Teixeira. Runner on second with none out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 10, Cubs 4 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 19 11:09 PM
- Mark Teixeira doubled to right scored Curtis Granderson. Runner on second with none out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 9, Cubs 4 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 19 11:07 PM
- Curtis Granderson tripled to right scored Brett Gardner. Runner on third with none out and Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 8, Cubs 4 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 19 11:01 PM
- Nick Swisher none-out, three-run Home Run (7) to right scored Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano. Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 7, Cubs 4 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 19 10:30 PM
- Russell Martin sacrifice fly to right scored Alex Rodriguez. Runner on second with two outs and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 4, Cubs 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 19 9:55 PM
- Eduardo Nunez grounded into a fielder's choice to third scored Robinson Cano. On the play, Russell Martin advances to second and Nick Swisher out at third. Runners on first and second with two outs and CC Sabathia due up.
Yankees 3, Cubs 4 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 19 9:21 PM
- Nick Swisher singled to right scored Alex Rodriguez. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 2, Cubs 4 Top 4, 1 OutJun 19 9:14 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, three-run Home Run (14) to left scored Starlin Castro and Aramis Ramirez. Geovany Soto due up.
Yankees 1, Cubs 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 19 9:03 PM
- Jeff Baker grounded out short to first scored Reed Johnson. None on with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Yankees 1, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 19 8:23 PM
- Brett Gardner lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 19 8:11 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 19 8:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21