Soto's walkoff lifts Cubs over GiantsJul 1, 2011 - 1:02 AM
Earlier in the inning, the Cubs were down to their last strike before Jeff Baker lifted a double to deep center. Darwin Barney then slapped a 1-2 fastball into left and Baker scored to tie the game as Cody Ross' throw sailed past home plate.
The Giants took a 2-1 lead a half-inning earlier on a two-out solo homer from Pablo Sandoval.
Aramis Ramirez, who recorded a pinch-hit, walk-off single in the Cubs' 2-1 victory on Wednesday night, forced extras with a game-tying solo home run in the bottom of the ninth.
Ramon Ramirez (2-1) surrendered four runs in the final inning to suffer the loss.
Following Barney's game-tying hit, Ramirez intentionally walked Starlin Castro. The pinch-hitting Soto then strolled to the plate and worked the count full before driving a ball over the wall in left.
"We never give up," said Soto. "We were down to our last pitch in the 13th inning and you just want to go home and win the game."
The Giants, who saw a season-high seven-game win streak come to an end on Wednesday, struck first in this back-and-forth contest.
Nate Schierholtz led off the second with a walk and was followed by a Brandon Crawford bunt. Carlos Zambrano fielded the ball, but threw it away attempting to get Crawford at first, allowing both runners to advance.
Miguel Tejada then sent a bloop single into short right. Barney chased hard, but could not execute the over-the-shouler catch, as the ball glanced off his glove and fell to the ground. Barney recovered quickly, however, snatching the ball off the hop and firing to the plate, but Schierholtz beat the throw with an aggressive slide.
Following a pitch to the next batter, Eli Whiteside, Zambrano gingerly walked off the mound and was tended to by trainer Mark O'Neal before departing for the dugout.
Marcos Mateo replaced Zambrano and proved effective, blanking the Giants over five innings, notching six strikeouts.
The late-game madness also overshadowed the performance of Matt Cain, who worked seven scoreless innings, allowing just four hits and a walk while striking out six.
The Cubs' bats finally awoke with one down in the ninth, when Ramirez blasted a 3-1 fastball to left, tying the game and charging Brian Wilson with a blown save.
"It was a game for us that just wasn't meant to be," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
Following a Sandoval single in the third, the Giants did not record another hit until his go-ahead shot in the 13th.
Despite allowing the home run to Sandoval, John Grabow (1-0) was credited with the win thanks to the rally in the home half.
Cain recorded the 1,000th strikeout of career in the contest...Entering the game, the Giants were a perfect 33-0 when leading after eight innings.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jun 30 6:11 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Geovany Soto two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Darwin Barney and Starlin Castro to end the game.
Giants 2, Cubs 5 Bot 13, 2 OutsJun 30 6:09 PM
- Darwin Barney single to left scored Jeff Baker. Runner on second with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 2 Bot 13, 2 OutsJun 30 6:05 PM
- Pablo Sandoval two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left center. Cody Ross due up.
Giants 2, Cubs 1 Top 13, 2 OutsJun 30 5:55 PM
- Aramis Ramirez one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Carlos Pena due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 1 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 30 4:48 PM
- Miguel Tejada single to second scored Nate Schierholtz. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Eli Whiteside due up.
Giants 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 30 2:48 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 30 2:23 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21