Nats earn dramatic walkoff winJul 5, 2011 - 1:28 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Jayson Werth stole third, then scored on a wild pitch to lift the Nationals over the Cubs, 5-4, in 10 innings.
Werth led off the 10th with a walk, then moved up to second on a sacrifice bunt by pitcher Livan Hernandez, who was pinch-hitting for reliever Henry Rodriguez.
Taking advantage of an aloof Aramis Ramirez at third, Werth stole the bag then came home when Carlos Marmol threw a wild slider that skipped to the backstop.
"It was a good win today, especially on the 4th of July," said Werth, who compared the Nationals to the NFL's Dallas Cowboys. "We were kidding earlier -- you've got America's Team down there in Dallas, and you've got Team America here in Washington."
Laynce Nix went 2-for-4 with a triple and a pair of RBI and Werth drove in two to secure Washington's third win in five games.
Rodriguez (3-1) earned the win after tossing a perfect 10th inning.
Marlon Byrd went 2-for-3 with an RBI and Alfonso Soriano drove in two runs for the Cubs, who have lost three of their last four.
"We gave ourselves a shot, but just couldn't finish it," said Cubs first baseman Carlos Pena.
Marcos Mateo (1-2) was tagged with the loss after walking Werth to open the 10th. He came out after Hernandez's bunt because of an apparent injury.
Down a run, Washington tied the game 4-4 in the seventh. Ian Desmond beat out an infield single to short, then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. After Sean Marshall struck out the next hitter the Cubs called on Kerry Wood to record the final out of the inning, but Wood went on to walk Ryan Zimmerman and hit Espinosa with a pitch. That loaded the bases for Nix, who drew a walk to force home Desmond. Wood managed to strike out Werth to prevent further damage.
Earlier, the Nationals jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first. Roger Bernadina reached on a fielding error on Pena, then moved to third after Danny Espinosa doubled to left-center. With runners on second and third Nix ripped a single past the infield shift to plate Bernadina and move Espinosa to third. Werth followed with a broken-bat single in the hole at second to score Espinosa before starter Casey Coleman worked out of the jam.
Coleman, who was called up from Triple-A Iowa to make the start, appeared in his first game since June 11.
The Cubs answered back in the second with a run. Pena roped a triple to center that bounced off Bernadina's glove as he collided with the wall, then scored after Byrd singled up the middle.
Defensive miscues by Washington led to two more runs for the Cubs in the fourth. With two runners on and two out, Soriano hit a towering fly ball that dropped between Werth, Bernadina and Espinosa in right-center after it appeared the trio lost the ball in the overcast sky, allowing Ramirez and Byrd to score.
Chicago added another run in the sixth when Geovany Soto's single to right knocked in Ramirez. Pena was gunned down at home by Werth.
The Nats cut the deficit to one in the sixth. Nix tripled off the center field fence, then scored after Werth grounded out to first.
Nats starter Jordan Zimmermann gave up four runs on eight hits in six innings. Coleman surrendered three runs -- two earned -- on five hits in 5 1/3 innings...Chicago optioned pitcher Chris Carpenter to Triple-A...The Cubs had won seven straight games in Washington...Byrd registered his first hits since returning from the DL with facial fractures...Washington's highly-touted prospect Bryce Harper was promoted to Double-A Harrisburg...Espinosa was hit by a pitch for the 15th time this season.
- CHICAGO: 4
Jul 4 4:38 PM
- Carlos Marmol wild pitch scored Jayson Werth with one out to end the game.
Cubs 4, Nationals 5 Bot 10, 1 OutJul 4 4:38 PM
- Laynce Nix walked. Ian Desmond scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Jayson Werth due up.
Cubs 4, Nationals 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 4 3:29 PM
- Jayson Werth grounded out to first scored Laynce Nix. None on with two outs and Matt Stairs due up.
Cubs 4, Nationals 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 4 2:53 PM
- Geovany Soto singled to right scored Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Marlon Byrd advances to second and Carlos Pena out at home to end the inning.
Cubs 4, Nationals 2 Mid 6Jul 4 2:44 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to center scored Aramis Ramirez and Marlon Byrd. On the play, Soriano advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Geovany Soto due up.
Cubs 3, Nationals 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 4 2:06 PM
- Marlon Byrd singled to center scored Carlos Pena.. Runner on first with one out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Nationals 2 Top 2, 1 OutJul 4 1:36 PM
- Jayson Werth singled to right scored Danny Espinosa. On the play, Laynce Nix advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Matt Stairs due up.
Cubs 0, Nationals 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 4 1:24 PM
- Laynce Nix singled to right scored Roger Bernadina. On the play, Danny Espinosa advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Cubs 0, Nationals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 4 1:23 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 1:06 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21