Marlins get to Cubs' Marmol in ninthJul 15, 2011 - 5:09 AM
Dobbs got the go-ahead hit off of Carlos Marmol (2-3), who had a terrible outing. Marmol faced just five batters in the ninth and didn't record an out, but he still allowed five runs on four walks and a hit.
Florida's ninth-inning rally made a winner out of Edward Mujica (7-2), who recorded the final out in the eighth. The win also continued the Marlins' hot trend that started before the break when they won five straight.
Marlon Byrd had a solo home run and Geovany Soto went 4-for-4 for the Cubs, who limped into the All-Star break losing seven of 10 games.
Armed with a 2-0 lead, Marmol came into the ninth and had obvious control problems right from the start. He walked the first three batters he saw to fill the bases, throwing one strike in his first 13 pitches.
The closer was able to spot the strike zone, getting two strikes on Dobbs. But Dobbs fought off three pitches before lacing a slider into the right field corner. Two runners came around to score easily, while Darwin Barney's wild throw to home allowed Dewayne Wise to race across for a 3-2 lead.
"As you see the inning develop, you could see it was evident he didn't have the command he usually does," Dobbs said of Marmol.
Marmol, of course, continued to have control issues and walked Emilio Bonifacio before getting pulled for Kerry Wood. Marmol's lack of control must have rubbed off on Wood, who immediately walked Omar Infante to load the bases again. Gaby Sanchez then lifted a sacrifice fly to plate Brett Hayes and Hanley Ramirez's RBI single into right made it a 5-2 game.
Mike Cameron's single later in the inning scored Infante, but Ramirez was tagged at home to end the Cubs' nightmare inning.
Leo Nunez came into the bottom of the inning in a non-save situation for Florida. He gave up a run on passed ball, but was able to get out of the inning with no further damage to seal the comeback win.
"It hurts pretty bad," Cubs manager Mike Quade said after blowing a two-run lead. "We have to find a way to win games in the late innings. Marmol's our guy and has been the guy and needs to be the guy. He'll be back for us though. Your sense is if he throws strikes he's going to be alright."
Byrd gave the Cubs a 1-0 lead in the second after scorching a line-drive homer into the bleachers in left.
The scored stayed that way because of Cubs' starter Matt Garza, who tossed seven scoreless innings. He scattered six hits and struck out six, while the Cubs padded their lead in the bottom of the seventh.
Carlos Pena led off with a walk, and after a Byrd pop-up, Alfonso Soriano singled to left to put runners on first and second.
Steve Cishek then entered for Marlins starter Anibal Sanchez and quickly gave up a single to Soto that fill the bags before plunking Barney in the back to bring in Pena for the second run of the game.
Bonifacio beat out an infield hit in the first inning to extend hitting streak to career-high 13-straight games...Ramirez's RBI single in the ninth was his 999th career hit...Sanchez allowed two runs on four hits and struck out six over 6 1/3 innings.
- FLORIDA: 6
Jul 14 11:26 PM
- Tony Campana scored and Geovany Soto advanced to second on a Brett Hayes passed ball with none out. Runner on second and Darwin Barney at the plate.
Marlins 6, Cubs 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 14 11:17 PM
- Mike Cameron single to left scored Omar Infante with two out. On the play, Hanley Ramirez was thrown out at home, left to catcher to end the inning.
Marlins 6, Cubs 2 Mid 9Jul 14 11:12 PM
- James Russell enters the game for the Cubs with one out and runners on first and second, batting 9th.
Marlins 5, Cubs 2 Top 9, 1 OutJul 14 11:05 PM
- Gaby Sanchez sacrifice fly to left scored Brett Hayes with one out. On the play, Emilio Bonifacio advances to third. Runners on first and third and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 4, Cubs 2 Top 9, 1 OutJul 14 11:02 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs double to right scored Mike Stanton and Mike Cameron. On the play, DeWayne Wise scored on Kosuke Fukudome's throwing error. Runner on second and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Marlins 3, Cubs 2 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 14 10:57 PM
- Darwin Barney was hit-by-pitch, Carlos Pena scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Matt Garza due up.
Marlins 0, Cubs 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 14 10:16 PM
- Marlon Byrd one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Marlins 0, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 14 8:37 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 8:08 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21