Soriano, Ramirez vault Cubs over AstrosJul 22, 2011 - 10:42 PM
Kosuke Fukudome joined Soriano and Ramirez with two hits for the Cubs, who improved to 3-5 on their 10-game homestand.
Chicago starter Carlos Zambrano (7-5) ran into trouble early in the game, but managed to limit the Astros to two runs on nine hits over six innings.
Michael Bourn collected three hits and knocked in a run for Houston, which was coming off its first series victory since June 17-19.
Bud Norris (5-7) surrendered the two home runs among nine hits in 6 1/3 innings.
The Astros certainly had their chances to seize control of the game, loading the bases with no outs in both the second and third innings. However, all the visitors could generate was one run when Clint Barmes grounded into a double play in the second.
Houston threatened again with runners on second and third in the fourth, and Bourn delivered with a two-out, RBI single to give Houston a 2-0 lead.
"It seemed like he settled down after the first couple innings. I thought his stuff was a lot better," Chicago manager Mike Quade said of Zambrano.
After wasting leadoff doubles in the previous two innings, the Cubs moved ahead in the decisive fifth frame. Soriano began the fifth by going deep for the first time since June 19, a blast to the front row seats in left field.
Darwin Barney and Zambrano followed with consecutive singles. Barney stole third base before scoring the tying run on Starlin Castro's sacrifice fly. Ramirez then crushed Norris' 1-1 offering over the wall in left-center.
"I just didn't execute that pitch to Ramirez," Norris said.
The Astros recorded just one hit against five Chicago relievers, with Sean Marshall pitching the ninth for his third save of the season.
Chicago snapped a five-game home skid against the Astros and avoided committing an error for a 10th straight game...The Astros and Cubs entered play with the majors' two worst records...Zambrano upped his career record against Houston to 16-8.
- HOUSTON: 2
Jul 22 5:03 PM
- Aramis Ramirez two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left center scored Carlos Zambrano. Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 2, Cubs 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 22 3:52 PM
- Starlin Castro sacrifice fly out to left scored Darwin Barney. Runner on first with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Astros 2, Cubs 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 22 3:50 PM
- Alfonso Soriano lead-off Home Run (15) to left. Darwin Barney due up.
Astros 2, Cubs 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 22 3:43 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to right scored Clint Barmes. On the play, Humberto Quintero advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 2, Cubs 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 22 3:21 PM
- Clint Barmes grounded into a double play, short to first scored Carlos Lee. Chris Johnson out at second. Brett Wallace advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Humberto Quintero due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 22 2:40 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 2:23 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21