Baker lifts Cubs over Astros in extrasJul 25, 2011 - 12:42 AM
Marlon Byrd scored the winning run after leading off with a high fly ball to right, which Hunter Pence lost in the sun, allowing Byrd to reach with a triple.
"I saw the ball off the bat and it never came out of the sun," said Pence. "I was just looking, looking, looking and then I heard it hit the ground. I really don't know what I could've done better on that play."
John Grabow (2-0) worked a scoreless top of the 10th, while David Carpenter (0-1) surrendered the decisive run to take the loss for the Astros, who had won two straight prior to their series with the Cubs.
The Astros grabbed the lead in the first inning on Clint Barmes' one-out solo shot.
Chicago went in front with a three-run second. Byrd and Geovany Soto began the frame with back-to-back doubles and, after an Alfonso Soriano strikeout, Darwin Barney added an RBI double to left. Matt Garza then helped his own cause with a run-scoring single down the right field line, marking his first career RBI.
In the third, Garza issued a leadoff walk to Jordan Lyles. Michael Bourn followed with a single and Garza retired the next two batters before walking Carlos Lee to load the bases, but Chris Johnson went down swinging to end the threat.
In the fifth, Lyles and Bourn got things started with singles and moved up on Barmes' sac bunt. Lyles crossed the plate on Pence's groundout, but Lee popped out to end the inning.
Garza allowed just two runs on five hits and three walks with nine strikeouts but was relieved by Jeff Samardzija to begin the eighth.
The Astros capitalized, as Pence drew a leadoff walk and Lee followed with a go-ahead homer to left.
The lead was short-lived, however, as the Cubs tied the game in the home half on a Soriano RBI single.
Again it was Byrd who scored the crucial run. He led off with a single and advanced to third on Soto's base hit to right. Soriano then pulled a bloop to left. Jason Bourgeois charged hard and initially snagged the ball as he dove, but it was jarred loose as Bourgeois hit the ground.
The Astros loaded the bases in the top of the ninth, but Carlos Marmol struck out Pence and got Lee to fly out to end the threat.
"It took awhile, but we finally got it done," said Byrd of the club's first sweep. "We had good pitching from Garza. We kept battling, kept fighting and that's what we have to do the rest of the year."
Lyles lasted six innings, allowing three runs on nine hits and a walk. He struck out five...Bourn extended his hit streak to nine games...The Cubs are 5-0 in extra inning tilts at Wrigley Field this season.
- HOUSTON: 4
Jul 24 5:54 PM
- Tony Campana is pinch-running for Alfonso Soriano.
Astros 4, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 24 5:09 PM
- Carlos Lee none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Hunter Pence. Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 4, Cubs 3 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 24 4:44 PM
- Hunter Pence grounded out short to first scored Jordan Lyles. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 2, Cubs 3 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 24 3:52 PM
- Matt Garza singled to right scored Darwin Barney. Runner on first with one out and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 24 2:55 PM
- Darwin Barney doubled to right scored Geovany Soto. Runner on second with one out and Matt Garza due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 24 2:54 PM
- Geovany Soto doubled to right center scored Marlon Byrd. Runner on second with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 24 2:50 PM
- Clint Barmes one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Hunter Pence due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 24 2:27 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 2:25 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21