Cubs clobber Cincy, win seventh straightAug 7, 2011 - 4:55 AM
Castro finished the game 2-for-5 with two runs scored, Carlos Pena drove in three runs on a pair of hits while Reed Johnson scored three times for the red-hot Cubs, who are on their first seven-game surge since a seven-game run from August 23-29, 2008.
"You don't do it without contributions from everyone and the benefit of these is that you get everyone involved in the game," said Chicago manager Mike Quade.
Carlos Zambrano (9-6) hit the 23rd home run of his career and went six innings to get the win as he gave up just three runs on six hits with four walks and six strikeouts.
"He (Zambrano) was pretty darn good out there today," said Quade. "He made his pitches today and it was a good workman's performance. It's what you get out of him whenever he goes out there."
Yonder Alonso hit the first home run of his career and drove in two for the Reds, who have lost three straight. Johnny Cueto (7-5) was touched for five runs on seven hits with three walks and two strikeouts over just 3 2/3 innings.
"Zambrano's home run and a couple of defensive mistakes and they're off to the races," said Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker.
Cincinnati second baseman Brandon Phillips left the game in the fifth inning with a sprained right ankle after a collision with center fielder Drew Stubbs in the fourth inning. He is listed as day-to-day.
"I'm all right, I'm living," said Phillips. "It doesn't feel too good and I don't like feeling like this, but that's where I am right now. I was just told to keep off it for now and keep it elevated so it won't swell up on me."
The top of the third saw the Reds take the lead on consecutive RBI singles from Miguel Cairo and Alonso, but the Cubs tied the game in the bottom of the inning as Zambrano led off the frame by drilling a 1-1 pitch into the right field stands and Pena later doubled home Aramis Ramirez, who had reached base on an infield single.
The fourth saw the Cubs take a lead that they never relinquished.
After Johnson led off with a double, the play that saw Phillips get injured, Alfonso Soriano doubled Johnson home. Three batters later, Castro hit into a fielder's choice that scored Soriano and a bases loaded walk from Pena made it a 5-2 game.
In the fifth inning, Castro doubled home two runners. Ramirez legged out an infield hit, and two more run scored on the play thanks to a bad throw from Edgar Renteria. Pena followed with an RBI double for a 10-2 lead.
Alonso's first home run came with one out in the sixth, but the Cubs got that back in the bottom half on Castro's RBI single.
Joey Votto drove in Stubbs in the ninth with a single to left.
Zambrano has won both of his starts in August and is now 17-11 in 37 games against the Reds...Cairo is one hit shy of 1,000 for his career...Cueto is 4-6 in 12 games against the Cubs...The Reds still lead the season series, 6-4...Both teams left nine men on base.
- CINCINNATI: 4
Aug 6 4:21 PM
- Joey Votto single to left scored Drew Stubbs. Runner on first with two outs and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 11 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 6 4:18 PM
- Starlin Castro single to left scored Reed Johnson. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 11 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 6 3:38 PM
- Yonder Alonso one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Ramon Hernandez due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 10 Top 6, 1 OutAug 6 3:17 PM
- Carlos Pena double to center scored Aramis Ramirez. Runner on second with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 6 3:11 PM
- Aramis Ramirez infield single to short scored Geovany Soto. On the play, Starlin Castro scored on Edgar Renteria's throwing error. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Pena due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 6 3:11 PM
- Starlin Castro double to left scored Reed Johnson and Alfonso Soriano. On the play, Geovany Soto advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Darwin Barney due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 7 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 6 3:05 PM
- Carlos Pena walk scored Starlin Castro. Bases loaded with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 6 2:37 PM
- Starlin Castro grounded into a fielder's choice to second scored Alfonso Soriano. Geovany Soto out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 6 2:29 PM
- Alfonso Soriano double to left scored Reed Johnson. Runner on second with none out and Geovany Soto due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 6 2:24 PM
- Carlos Pena double to right scored Aramis Ramirez. Runner on second with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 6 2:09 PM
- Starlin Castro flied out to right. None on with one out and Darwin Barney due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 6 2:02 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to left scored Brandon Phillips. On the play, Miguel Cairo advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Reds 2, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 6 1:57 PM
- Miguel Cairo single to center scored Edgar Renteria. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Reds 1, Cubs 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 6 1:53 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 1:09 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21