Giants fall to Cubs again, lose ground in NL WestAug 31, 2011 - 5:42 AM
Matt Garza (7-10) was charged with two runs on nine hits in 6 2/3 innings for the Cubs, who have taken the first two meetings in this three-game set on the heels of a four-game skid.
Ryan Vogelsong (10-5) lasted just five frames after surrendering three runs on seven hits to take the loss, the fourth in his last five outings.
The Giants recorded nine hits, though only one went for extra bases. They have lost 21 of their last 30, falling from their perch atop the NL West standings to six games back of the front-running Diamondbacks.
"We're digging ourselves a big hole to get out of," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Soriano hit a mammoth solo home run in the second inning, crushing the ball onto the concourse beyond the seats in left-center field.
"If you make a mistake, you're going to pay for it against them," Bochy added.
Starlin Castro tripled leading off the third and scored on a Darwin Barney sacrifice fly, and three straight singles, the last from Soriano, made it 3-0 later in the frame.
The Giants got on the board in the fifth when Jeff Keppinger slapped a double the other way to right to knock in Mike Fontenot, but Carlos Beltran fouled out to leave two in scoring position.
Geovany Soto doubled in a pair in the Cubs' seventh, and Keppinger knocked in another one in the bottom half for a 5-2 game. Beltran again had a chance to pull the hosts closer, but Sean Marshall induced an inning-ending fielder's choice to strand a pair.
Marshall and Kerry Wood combined for a scoreless eighth, and Carlos Marmol closed it out in the ninth to post his 31st save.
The Cubs went 6-3 in August series after a 1-7 run in July...Keppinger went 3- for-5 in defeat...Garza also had two hits in four at-bats...Barney was the only Cubs starter who failed to record a hit...Castro committed his 23rd error of the season in the eighth.
- CHICAGO: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Aug 31 1:20 AM
- Jeff Keppinger single to right scored Cody Ross with two outs. On the play, Andres Torres advances to second. Runners on first and second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cubs 5, Giants 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 31 12:44 AM
- Geovany Soto double to left scored Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Pena with two outs. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to third. Runners on second and third and Matt Garza due up.
Cubs 5, Giants 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 31 12:28 AM
- Jeff Keppinger double to right scored Mike Fontenot with two outs. On the play, Miguel Tejada advances to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cubs 3, Giants 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 30 11:46 PM
- Alfonso Soriano single to left scored Aramis Ramirez. On the play, Carlos Pena tagged out at second Runner on first with two outs and Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 3, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 30 11:01 PM
- Darwin Barney sacrifice fly to right scored Starlin Castro with one out. None on and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 2, Giants 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 30 10:55 PM
- Alfonso Soriano one-out, solo Home Run (24) to left. Marlon Byrd due up.
Cubs 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 30 10:37 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 10:16 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21
- Giants shut down by Arrieta in 8-1 loss to Cubs May 21
- Arrieta wins 19th straight decision as Cubs beat Giants 8-1 May 21
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 21