Mets down Cubs on Turner's walkoff singleSep 10, 2011 - 5:51 AM
Manny Acosta (3-1) blew the save in the top of the ninth but was given the win.
Turner had three hits and two RBI, and Jason Bay doubled twice and knocked in a run for New York, which was coming off a double-header sweep at the hands of the Braves on Thursday.
Sean Marshall (6-6) allowed the game-deciding run to take the loss.
Carlos Pena smacked a two-run homer as Chicago dropped its fifth game in eight tries.
Mike Pelfrey went 6 2/3 innings, allowing three runs on six hits and three walks in the start for the Mets, and Casey Coleman allowed four runs on eight hits through five innings for the Cubs. He struck out five and did not walk a batter.
"I was up [in the zone] a little bit," Coleman said. "They were more aggressive."
Nick Evans greeted Marshall in the bottom of the ninth with a base hit to center field. Josh Thole then laid down a sacrifice bunt to move pinch-runner Jason Pridie to second. After pinch-hitter Ruben Tejada lined out to second, Jose Reyes was intentionally walked to get to Turner, who belted the second pitch he saw over the head of Marlon Byrd in center field to end the game.
The Cubs left the bases loaded in the first inning, but were able to break through in the third. Aramis Ramirez hit a two-out double before Pena hammered a ball into the seats in center field to give Chicago a 2-0 lead.
Byrd singled to start the fourth inning and was followed by Bryan LaHair's first career triple off the base of the wall in right. Two batters later, Coleman lifted a ball to left field. Bay made the grab and fired the ball home, catching LaHair at the plate for the inning-ending double play.
In the home half of the fourth, back-to-back base hits by Turner and Lucas Duda put runners on the corners. David Wright followed with a grounder to short, allowing Turner to cross the plate as Wright beat out the potential double play at first.
Wright moved to second on Angel Pagan's single and came home on Bay's double down the third-base line. Evans then hit a hard grounder to third that deflected off of Ramirez's glove, allowing Pagan to score and tying the game at three.
"We needed that, especially down in a 3-0 hole," Pelfrey said.
Reyes hit a ground-rule double with one out in the fifth, and Turner followed by slapping a double to right field to give the Mets their first lead of the game.
Acosta started the ninth for New York trying for the save. After striking out Tony Campana, Geovany Soto walked and was replaced by pinch-runner Lou Montanez. Montanez was almost doubled off at first after he wandered too far off the bag on a soft liner to second by pinch-hitter Reed Johnson, but consecutive singles by Starlin Castro and Darwin Barney scored Montanez and knotted the game at four.
Reyes extended his hit streak to 12 games...Castro extended his hit streak to 10 games and has now reached base safely in a career-high 22 straight games...Coleman has not recorded a win since May 19...The Mets and Cubs have met 692 times since 1962 and the all-time series is tied 345-345 with two ties.
- CHICAGO: 4
NEW YORK: 5
Sep 9 10:19 PM
- Darwin Barney singled in Lou Montanez with two out. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to second. Runners on first and second with Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 4, Mets 4 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 9 10:06 PM
- Lucas Duda struck out looking. Runner on second with two outs and David Wright due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 9 8:45 PM
- Nick Evans grounded out third to short to first scoring Angel Pagan with two out. Runner on second and Josh Thole due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 9 8:31 PM
- Jason Bay doubled in David Wright with one out. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to third. Runners on second and third with Nick Evans due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 9 8:28 PM
- David Wright grounded into a fielder's choice scoring Justin Turner with one out. Lucas Duda out at second. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 9 8:22 PM
- Geovany Soto lined out to third. Runner on third with one out and Casey Coleman due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 9 8:13 PM
- Alfonso Soriano flied out to center to end the inning.
Cubs 2, Mets 0 Mid 3Sep 9 8:00 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21