Cubs score six in 11th to beat MetsSep 12, 2011 - 6:11 AM Chicago Cubs scored five more times in the 11th inning to upend the New York Mets, 10-6.
Pena and Darwin Barney each had three hits and two RBI, Tyler Colvin drove in three and Bryan LaHair scored four runs for the Cubs, who have won five of their last seven.
The Mets stranded 15 runners, including three apiece in the ninth and 10th innings to fall for the fourth time in five games.
Chicago also had trouble with runners on, leaving 12, but came through against Josh Stinson in the 11th.
Marlon Byrd worked a leadoff walk and moved to third on LaHair's base hit. Pena then singled through a shifted infield to bring in Byrd, and Stinson (0-1) was mercifully pulled after walking Colvin.
Alfonso Soriano greeted Ryota Igarashi with a pinch-hit, two-run double, and Barney found the gap in left to bring in two more.
Geovany Soto added a sacrifice fly to cap the six-run rally, and Jason Pridie's two-run homer off John Grabow in the bottom half did not change the outcome.
Ramon Ortiz (1-2) recorded the final two outs in the 10th to earn the win.
The rubber match of the three-game series was preempted by a remembrance ceremony for those lost in the terror attacks on September 11, 2001. Members of the New York City Police Department, New York City Fire Department, and many other first responders participated in the event, during which a 300-foot by 100-foot American flag was unfurled.
Pena tripled in a run in the first inning, and Angel Pagan countered with an RBI double in the bottom half.
The Cubs loaded the bases with a hit batsman and two walks in the third, and Colvin's two-out single brought home a pair.
Colvin added a run-scoring triple in the fifth, and Nick Evans and Ronny Paulino each knocked in a run in the sixth to pull the Mets within one.
New York tied it in the eighth. With two down and runners on first and second, pinch-hitter Justin Turner hit a comebacker off Jeff Samardzija's glove, and the ball rolled toward the first-base line. Samardzija retrieved it, but his throw on the run was too low for Pena to handle. Pagan never stopped running and scored without a play at the plate.
Pridie struck out to leave the bases loaded in the ninth, and David Wright flied out to left to strand three an inning later.
"That's baseball," Mets outfielder Jason Bay said. "But it was a little bit different today."
Pena has three triples this year, his most since recording four in 2004...Cubs starter Matt Garza lasted seven innings and was charged with three runs on seven hits....Miguel Batista started for New York and was pulled after yielding four runs on five hits over the first five frames...Mets shortstop Jose Reyes went 1-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to 14 games...This was the Cubs' first series win in Flushing since taking two-of-three from July 24-26, 2006 at Shea Stadium...Game time: 4:28.
- CHICAGO: 10
NEW YORK: 6
Sep 12 12:49 AM
- Jason Pridie one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Josh Satin. Dale Thayer due up.
Cubs 10, Mets 6 Bot 11, 1 OutSep 12 12:46 AM
- Geovany Soto sacrifice fly out to center scored Darwin Barney. None on with two outs and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 10, Mets 4 Top 11, 2 OutsSep 12 12:39 AM
- Darwin Barney doubled to center scored Tyler Colvin and Alfonso Soriano. Runner on second with none out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 9, Mets 4 Top 11, 0 OutsSep 12 12:32 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Alfonso Soriano doubled to left scored Bryan LaHair and Carlos Pena. On the play, Tyler Colvin advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 7, Mets 4 Top 11, 0 OutsSep 12 12:28 AM
- Carlos Pena singled to left scored Marlon Byrd. On the play, Bryan LaHair advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Tyler Colvin due up.
Cubs 5, Mets 4 Top 11, 0 OutsSep 12 12:22 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Justin Turner infield single to pitcher. On the play, Nick Evans advances to second and Jeff Samardzija's throwing error scored Angel Pagan. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Cubs 4, Mets 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 11 11:24 PM
- Ronny Paulino singled to left scored Nick Evans. Runner on first with two outs and D.J. Carrasco due up.
Cubs 4, Mets 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 10:20 PM
- Nick Evans doubled to center scored Jason Bay. Runner on second with two outs and Ronny Paulino due up.
Cubs 4, Mets 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 11 10:18 PM
- Tyler Colvin tripled to right scored Bryan LaHair. Runner on third with two outs and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Cubs 4, Mets 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 11 9:55 PM
- Tyler Colvin singled to right scored Tony Campana and Bryan LaHair. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Cubs 3, Mets 1 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 11 9:14 PM
- Angel Pagan doubled to right scored Jose Reyes. On the play, David Wright advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Jason Bay due up.
Cubs 1, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 11 8:38 PM
- Carlos Pena tripled to right scored Bryan LaHair. Runner on third with two outs and Tyler Colvin due up.
Cubs 1, Mets 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 11 8:27 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 8:20 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21