Cubs blow 9th-inning lead, edge Astros in extrasSep 17, 2011 - 2:09 AM
David Carpenter (0-3) loaded the bases with one out in the 12th. Byrd's hit bounced off the third base line and seemed to land in foul territory before Chris Johnson touched the ball with his glove. It was ruled a fair ball on the field, which allowed Starlin Castro to score the winning run.
"We don't do anything the easy way around here," Cubs manager Mike Quade said.
Geovany Soto hit a solo homer for the Cubs, who snapped a three-game skid. Alfonso Soriano and Jeff Baker added an RBI apiece.
Chicago starter Matt Garza went nine innings, giving up three runs on seven hits. Carlos Marmol pitched two scoreless innings and Jeff Samardzija (7-4) tossed a flawless 12th to pick up the win.
Houston first baseman Carlos Lee went 3-for-5 with a pair of homers, including a game-tying two-run blast in the ninth.
Wandy Rodriguez allowed three runs on six hits over 5 2/3 innings for the Astros, who have lost two in a row.
Lee's solo homer in the second gave the Astros a 1-0 lead. It didn't stay that way for long, as Soto's blast to left in the third tied the game.
The Cubs pushed across two runs in the sixth to go in front. Aramis Ramirez hit a one-out triple to right and scored on Baker's base hit. Byrd walked to put men on first and second. Soriano hit an RBI single two batters later to make it a 3-1 game.
Houston plated two runs off Garza in the ninth to tie things up. Jordan Schafer led off with a single and moved to second on pinch-hitter J.B. Shuck's groundout. J.D. Martinez flied out for the second out. Lee kept the game alive with a two-run homer to left.
Chicago put men on the corners in the home ninth, but Castro struck out looking to send the game into extras.
The Astros stranded a runner on second in the 12th.
In the home 12th, Castro walked and Ramirez was given a free pass to put men on first and second with one out. A wild pitch moved the runners up a base. Reed Johnson was then intentionally walked to load the bases for Byrd.
Lee has 20 career multi-homer games...Xavier Cedeno made his MLB debut in the bottom of the ninth for Houston...Rodriguez had five strikeouts on Friday. He needs two more strikeouts to become the first southpaw and the ninth pitcher in club history to reach 1,000 K's...The Astros started a six-game road trip on Friday, while the Cubs got a six-game homestand underway.
- HOUSTON: 3
Sep 16 6:19 PM
- Marlon Byrd reached first on an infield single to third scoring Starlin Castro with one out to win the game.
Astros 3, Cubs 4 Bot 12, 1 OutSep 16 6:18 PM
- Carlos Lee two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (18) to left scored Jordan Schafer. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Astros 3, Cubs 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 16 4:49 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to center scoring Jeff Baker with two out. On the play, Marlon Byrd advances to second. Runners on first and second with Geovany Soto due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 16 4:04 PM
- Marlon Byrd walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 16 3:57 PM
- Geovany Soto lead-off Home Run (15) to left. Matt Garza due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 16 3:09 PM
- Carlos Lee lead-off Home Run (17) to left. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 16 2:46 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 2:26 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21