Astros edge CubsSep 19, 2011 - 3:49 AM
J.D. Martinez drove in the other run for the Astros, who had dropped their previous three games. Brett Myers (6-13) won his third straight start as he gave up just two runs -- one earned -- and seven hits with one walk and five strikeouts in 7 2/3 innings.
Aramis Ramirez and Bryan LaHair each drove in a run for the Cubs, who have lost four of their past six. Ryan Dempster (10-13) lost his fifth straight decision after giving up three runs on seven hits over seven innings.
In the first, Houston plated all three of its runs. Jason Bourgeois walked to lead off and Angel Sanchez followed with a free pass. Martinez then singled home one run. After the next two batters recorded outs, Jimmy Paredes beat out an infield single and Barmes brought home two with a single to center.
"[Dempster] wasn't really hit hard, but just wasn't as sharp in the first inning as he was when he settled down. He pitched fine," said Chicago manager Mike Quade.
The Cubs got one back in the home half of the first as Starlin Castro led off with a double, moved to third on a Tony Campana groundout and came home when LaHair followed with a sac fly.
The eighth inning saw Ramirez bring home Darwin Barney, who reached third base when Brian Bogusevic missed a catch in center field, with a sacrifice fly to make it a 3-2 game.
The game went into a 67-minute rain delay after the eighth and when play was resumed Mike Melancon, who got the final out of the eighth, set the Cubs down in order to pick up his 18th save.
Houston travels to Cincinnati for three games starting on Monday...The Cubs host Milwaukee for three games beginning on Monday...Chicago won the season series, 8-7...Dempster fell to 7-11 against Houston...Myers improved to an impressive 13-3 in 21 games against the Cubs.
- HOUSTON: 3
Sep 18 6:30 PM
- Mark Melancon enters the game for the Astros with runners on second and third and two out, batting 5th.
Astros 3, Cubs 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 18 5:04 PM
- Bryan LaHair sacrifice fly to right scored Starlin Castro with two out. None on and Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 3, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 18 2:48 PM
- Clint Barmes single to center scored Angel Sanchez and J.D. Martinez with two out. On the play, Jimmy Paredes advances to third. Runners on first and third and Humberto Quintero due up.
Astros 3, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 18 2:39 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to center scored Jason Bourgeois with none out. On the play, Angel Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 18 2:31 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 18 2:25 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21