Venable, Latos carry Padres past CubsSep 27, 2011 - 5:53 AM
Mat Latos (9-14) carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning as he tossed seven shutout frames, allowing just two hits and a walk while fanning nine. He has now allowed three runs or less in 16 out of his past 17 outings.
Heath Bell pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his 43rd save of the year in the Padres' seventh win in 10 games.
Casey Coleman (3-9) allowed two runs on five hits and two walks while striking out seven through 5 2/3 innings. His triple in the sixth inning broke up Latos' no-hit bid.
Starlin Castro singled for the Cubs' only other hit as Chicago dropped its third straight game.
San Diego broke the scoreless tie in the bottom of the sixth inning when Venable led off the frame with a home run. Jesus Guzman hit ground-rule double two batters later and crossed the plate on Cameron Maybin's two-bagger
Coleman's triple with one out in the sixth was just the Cubs second base runner of the game -- Carlos Pena walked in the fifth. Coleman was stranded there as Tony Campana bunted back to the mound and Darwin Barney flied out to right to end the inning.
Castro led off the seventh with a single, promptly stole second, and moved to third on a Bryan LaHair groundout, but Steve Clevenger popped up to the catcher to end the inning.
Chad Qualls pitched a perfect eighth before Bell shut the door in the ninth.
Latos improved to 2-2 in four career starts against the Cubs...Castro extended his hit streak to nine games...The Cubs went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position...The Cubs were shutout for the 10th time this season.
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 2
Sep 27 12:39 AM
- Rafael Dolis enters the game for the Cubs with a runner on second and two out, batting 9th.
Cubs 0, Padres 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 26 11:48 PM
- Will Venable lead-off Home Run (8) to center. Jason Bartlett due up.
Cubs 0, Padres 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 26 11:38 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Sep 26 10:09 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22