Teixeira and A-Rod homer, Yankees rock DetroitApr 3, 2011 - 3:00 AM
"We get through these stretches, and power hitters have to live on these great stretches because we'll go through ups and downs in the season," said Teixeira of the Yanks' early-season power surge. "You can't miss good pitches, because when you see them, you have to hit them."
Russell Martin also hit a three-run blast for the Yankees, who will look for the series sweep on Sunday afternoon.
A.J. Burnett (1-0) allowed five hits and three runs with six strikeouts over five innings for the win.
Victor Martinez hit a two-run homer and Austin Jackson contributed a solo round-tripper for the Tigers, who have dropped the first two games of their season for the third time in four years.
Brad Penny (0-1) lasted just 4 1/3 innings in his Tigers debut, during which he was charged with seven hits and eight runs while walking four.
Penny got off to a poor start, yielding three runs in the first inning. With runners on first and second and one out, Rodriguez stroked a double to right to plate New York's first run. Robinson Cano followed with an infield single to score another run, then Nick Swisher lofted a sacrifice fly to left which plated Rodriguez.
Brett Gardner singled to start the second, stole second, then Derek Jeter reached on a botched fielders choice grounder. That set the stage for Teixeira, who unloaded a three-run homer with one out to make it 6-0.
Jackson's solo homer in the third put the Tigers on the board, and it was 6-3 in the fifth after Alex Avila singled home Brandon Inge and a Will Rhymes groundout plated Jhonny Peralta, but Martin's three-run blast in the home half provided a 9-3 margin for the home club.
Rodriguez added a solo shot in the sixth to push the Bombers into double digits.
Martinez clubbed a two-run blast to right-center in the eighth, and an Eduardo Nunez error on a Ryan Raburn grounder with two on in the ninth closed Detroit's gap to 10-6.
Mariano Rivera came on with runners on the corners and retired Miguel Cabrera to earn his second save.
"Once again, we were scratching and clawing but we just didn't shut them down," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland. "We didn't keep the ball in the park either but I thought we were in the ballgame until the end, and it turns out we did have a shot."
The Yankees have won their first two games of the season for the first time since 2005 (April 3-5, 2005 vs. Boston)...New York hasn't swept a season- opening three-game set since March 31-April 2, 2003 in Toronto...Detroit last dropped three in a row to start a season in 2008 when it began 0-7...Jeter finished 2-for-4, bringing his career hit total to 2,928, tying him with Al Simmons for 35th on the all-time list...Rodriguez now has 1,833 career RBI, one shy of Dave Winfield for 15th on that ledger.
- DETROIT: 6
NEW YORK: 10
Apr 2 7:42 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Raburn reached first on Eduardo Nunez's throwing error. On the play, Alex Avila scored. Runners on first and third with two outs and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 6, Yankees 10 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 2 7:41 PM
- Victor Martinez one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Don Kelly. Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 5, Yankees 10 Top 8, 1 OutApr 2 7:05 PM
- Alex Rodriguez lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Robinson Cano due up.
Tigers 3, Yankees 10 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 2 6:36 PM
- Brett Gardner singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Derek Jeter due up.
Tigers 3, Yankees 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 2 6:17 PM
- Will Rhymes ground out to first scored Jhonny Peralta with two out. Runners on second and third and Magglio Ordonez due up.
Tigers 3, Yankees 6 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 2 5:54 PM
- Alex Avila single to left scored Brennan Boesch with none out. Runners on first and second and Brandon Inge due up.
Tigers 2, Yankees 6 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 2 5:47 PM
- Austin Jackson two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Will Rhymes due up.
Tigers 1, Yankees 6 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 2 5:14 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right scored Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Tigers 0, Yankees 6 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 2 4:59 PM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly out to left scored Alex Rodriguez with one out. Runner on first with two out and Jorge Posada due up.
Tigers 0, Yankees 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 2 4:29 PM
- Alex Rodriguez double to right scored Derek Jeter with one out. Runners on second and third and Robinson Cano due up.
Tigers 0, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 2 4:26 PM
- Will Rhymes lined out to short. None on with two outs and Magglio Ordonez due up.
Apr 2 4:15 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22