Orioles bounce back to take series from TigersApr 8, 2011 - 5:44 AM
Vladimir Guerrero added a solo shot and two RBI for the Orioles, who have opened their season with five wins in six games for the first time since 2008.
Jim Johnson (1-0) fanned three and allowed one hit in 1 2/3 scoreless relief innings.
"I have not glanced at a stat sheet or the board about batting average," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "We played five games and one of the great things with players with track records, if their health is there, they're more than likely going to be somewhere around that track record."
Austin Jackson and Brennan Boesch each posted two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Tigers, who have lost four of six to begin the year.
Brad Thomas (0-1) allowed the deciding run without retiring a batter in the seventh.
Jackson's RBI double in the top of the seventh put the Tigers ahead 5-4, but the Orioles struck back in the home half to take the lead for good.
Thomas began the frame by allowing a Brian Roberts single and walk to Nick Markakis before giving way to Enrique Gonzalez. He fanned Derrek Lee, but Guerrero singled in a run and both runners advanced on an error.
Luke Scott was given a free pass, and a Jones sacrifice fly plated Markakis with the go-ahead run before Reynolds scored two with a double to left. Daniel Schlereth came in only to walk Matt Wieters and allow another RBI hit, this time to Cesar Izturis for a 9-5 game.
Johnson escaped the eighth unscathed after working out of a two-on, one-out jam. Koji Uehara had an easier time in the ninth, retiring the side in order.
"We just couldn't get that timely hit when we needed it," Jackson said.
Run-scoring hits by Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez staked the Tigers to a 2-0 lead in the first, but Guerrero's leadoff homer and an RBI single from Reynolds tied the game in the second.
Avila homered to start the fifth and Boesch later contributed an RBI double for a 4-2 contest, but Jones struck back in the home sixth with his two-run shot.
Baltimore, which has won both its series thus far in 2011, didn't win two series until mid-May last year...Prior to the game, the Tigers placed pitcher Ryan Perry on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 5, with an eye infection and recalled pitcher Robbie Weinhardt from Triple-A Toledo.
- DETROIT: 5
Apr 7 10:33 PM
- Cesar Izturis single to center scored Mark Reynolds with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brian Roberts due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 7 10:05 PM
- Mark Reynolds double to left scored Vladimir Guerrero and Felix Pie with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 7 9:56 PM
- Adam Jones sacrifice fly to center scored Nick Markakis with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mark Reynolds due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 7 9:54 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero single to right scored Brian Roberts with one out. On the play, the runners advance on Don Kelly throwing error. Runners on second and third with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 5 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 7 9:51 PM
- Austin Jackson double to left scored Alex Avila with one out. Runner on second with one out and Will Rhymes due up.
Tigers 5, Orioles 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 7 9:30 PM
- Adam Jones one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Luke Scott. Mark Reynolds due up.
Tigers 4, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 7 9:13 PM
- Brennan Boesch double to right center scored Will Rhymes with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 4, Orioles 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 7 8:39 PM
- Ramon Santiago grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Austin Jackson due up.
Tigers 3, Orioles 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 7 8:33 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to center scored Adam Jones with one out. Runner on first with one out and Matt Wieters due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 7 7:53 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Luke Scott due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 7 7:45 PM
- Victor Martinez single to right scored Brennan Boesch with one out. Runners on first and third with one out and Don Kelly due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 7 7:25 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to center scored Austin Jackson with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 7 7:23 PM
- Austin Jackson singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Will Rhymes due up.
Apr 7 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22