Cabrera drives home winner to help Tigers edge RangersApr 12, 2011 - 10:58 PM
Cabrera also doubled and Ryan Raburn went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a walk for Detroit, which snapped a three-game slide. Ramon Santiago, Victor Martinez and Brennan Boesch each drove in a run in the victory.
Brad Penny started and allowed three runs on seven hits, one walk and struck out two in 6 2/3 innings, but did not factor in the decision.
Michael Young went 3-for-3 with an RBI and scored twice for the Rangers, who had won three in a row and nine of 10 to start the season.
Josh Hamilton, serving as the designated hitter, drove in a run with a triple, but left after only one at-bat with a strained right shoulder after trying to score on an infield pop out in foul territory in the first inning. He was apparently hurt when he tried to elude a tag on a head-first slide at the plate.
"Definitely shouldn't have done it there," Hamilton said about his attempt to score. "That was a little too aggressive."
C.J. Wilson got the starting nod for Texas and pitched to a no-decision. The left-hander yielded four runs on seven hits and three walks in 6 2/3 frames. He finished with four strikeouts.
Tied at 4-4, Jose Valverde (1-0) came in for the top of the ninth and allowed the leadoff hitter to reach with a single, but the closer settled down to get the next batter, before Julio Borbon grounded into an inning-ending double play.
Brandon Inge greeted Darren O'Day (0-1) with a base hit leading off the home half and advanced to second on a bunt by Alex Avila. Austin Jackson drew a walk, Santiago went down on strikes and Raburn walked to load the bases. Cabrera then stepped in and grounded a 2-1 sinker through the left side to score the winning run.
"He's a good hitter. He's a good player. He had a great at-bat there," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said about Cabrera. "That's the guy we wanted up there obviously and he came through like he does a lot of times."
Hamilton's first-inning, run-scoring triple gave Texas the early lead before getting thrown out at home while attempting to score on Adrian Beltre's foul pop.
Santiago's RBI ground ball in the home half tied things, but the Rangers went back in front in the third.
Mitch Moreland doubled, took second on a bunt and scored on a deep sacrifice fly by Young, making it a 2-1 game. Martinez pulled the Tigers even in the fourth with a sac fly.
Beltre's run-scoring grounder in the sixth gave the Rangers a brief lead, but Detroit answered with a pair in the bottom half to go in front, 4-3.
Raburn's double to left scored Santiago, who led off with a single. Then later in the inning and two down, Boesch singled up the middle to bring in another.
Penny and Brayan Villarreal combined to work a scoreless seventh, but Texas tied it in the eighth when Nelson Cruz laced an RBI single to center.
Texas took six of nine from the Tigers last season...Detroit went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine, while the Rangers finished 1-for-7 with RISP and left five.
- TEXAS: 4
Apr 12 4:28 PM
- Nelson Cruz single to center scored Michael Young with two out. Runners on first and second with David Murphy due up.
Rangers 4, Tigers 4 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 12 3:41 PM
- Brennan Boesch singled to center scored Ryan Raburn. Runner on first with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Rangers 3, Tigers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 12 2:57 PM
- Ryan Raburn doubled to left scored Ramon Santiago. Runner on second with none out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Rangers 3, Tigers 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 12 2:53 PM
- Adrian Beltre grounded out short to first scored Elvis Andrus. Runner on third with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Tigers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 12 2:44 PM
- Victor Martinez sacrifice fly out to center scored Ryan Raburn. Runner on second with two outs and Brennan Boesch due up.
Rangers 2, Tigers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 12 2:16 PM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly out to left scored Mitch Moreland. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 2, Tigers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 12 1:51 PM
- Ramon Santiago grounded out second to first scored Austin Jackson. None on with one out and Ryan Raburn due up.
Rangers 1, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 12 1:23 PM
- Josh Hamilton tripled to right center scored Michael Young. Runner on third with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 12 1:13 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 12 1:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22