Mariners erupt for 13 runs against TigersApr 20, 2011 - 6:56 AM
Ichiro Suzuki finished with four hits, two RBI and scored three times for the Mariners, who earned their second win in seven games. Milton Bradley and Chris Gimenez each had two RBI in the win.
Doug Fister (1-3) had an impressive 6 1/3-inning start, giving up two runs on five hits while striking out seven for his first win of the season.
Miguel Cabrera had two hits and RBI while Brennan Boesch had three hits for the Tigers, who won Monday's matchup in Seattle to snap a two-game losing streak.
Tigers starter Phil Coke (1-3) was not his sharpest in the loss, surrendering six runs -- two earned -- on six hits and four walks.
Coke dug a sizeable hole for the Tigers in the first inning after walking the first two batters and bobbling a Bradley slow chopper to the mound to load the bases. Coke then walked Jack Cust for the first run of the game. Figgins scored on a fielder's choice off the bat of Brendan Ryan, and Gimenez's single to left scored Bradley and Cust for a 4-0 lead.
The Tigers looked to inch their way back in the second when Jhonny Peralta's single sent Cabrera across the plate. However, they went scoreless the next four frames.
The Mariners tacked on two runs in the fourth to go up, 6-1. After Suzuki singled to right and stole second and third, Figgins grounded up the middle to score the prolific leadoff hitter. Figgins then crossed the plate on Bradley's groundout.
"Those two guys up top, they're the ones that need to get it going, and that's what you saw today," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said of Suzuki and Figgins. "You've seen both of them start to move in the right direction, and I think today was the culmination of that."
Fister was looking good until the seventh inning when he loaded the bases and then walked Alex Avila with one out. He was immediately pulled in favor of Jamey Wright, who just needed one pitch to get out of the jam as Brandon Inge grounded into a double play to end the threat.
While the Tigers struggled to score with the bases loaded, the Mariners didn't have any trouble in the bottom of the same frame. After two walks to start the inning, Inge flubbed a Michael Saunders bunt down the third base line to load the bases. Suzuki and Figgins each followed up with singles, the former bringing in one and the latter two. Suzuki then scored on Bradley's single, and Miguel Olivo's sacrifice fly capped the five-run inning and put the Mariners in cruise control.
Cabrera singled in Will Rhymes in the eighth, but to add more insult to injury, Seattle produced two more runs in its half to make up the final score.
"I think this is one that you just turn the page on. It just wasn't our day," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
The Detroit Tigers placed catcher Victor Martinez on the disabled list before the game. Martinez, who was hitting .250 with two homers and nine RBI in 16 games thus far with Detroit, was felled by a strained right groin. The Tigers purchased the contract of catcher Omir Santos from Triple-A Toledo earlier in the day...The Seattle Mariners placed first baseman Justin Smoak on the bereavement list, recalled outfielder Carlos Peguero from Triple-A Tacoma, and optioned pitcher David Aardsma to Tacoma for a rehab assignment...Seattle took five of its eight meetings with the Tigers last season, including wins in four of the five matchups in Seattle...The Mariners left 12 runners on base, while going 7-for-22 with runners in scoring position.
- DETROIT: 3
Apr 20 1:35 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Luis Rodriguez sacrifice fly to center scored Michael Saunders with one out. Runner on first and Milton Bradley due up.
Tigers 3, Mariners 13 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 20 1:24 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to left scored Chris Gimenez with none out. Runners on first and third and Chone Figgins due up.
Tigers 3, Mariners 12 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 20 1:22 AM
- Miguel Cabrera single to right scored Will Rhymes with one out. Runners on first and second and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 3, Mariners 11 Top 8, 1 OutApr 20 1:11 AM
- Miguel Olivo sacrifice fly to center scored Chone Figgins with two out. Runner on first and Brendan Ryan due up.
Tigers 2, Mariners 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 20 12:59 AM
- Milton Bradley single to center scored Ichiro Suzuki with none out. Runners on first and third and Jack Cust due up.
Tigers 2, Mariners 10 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 20 12:55 AM
- Chone Figgins single to left scored Chris Gimenez and Michael Saunders with none out. Runners on first and second and Milton Bradley due up.
Tigers 2, Mariners 9 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 20 12:53 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to center scored Jack Wilson with none out. Bases loaded and Chone Figgins due up.
Tigers 2, Mariners 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 20 12:50 AM
- Alex Avila walk scored Miguel Cabrera with one out. Bases loaded and Brandon Inge due up.
Tigers 2, Mariners 6 Top 7, 1 OutApr 20 12:34 AM
- Milton Bradley ground out third to first scored Chone Figgins with two out. None on and Jack Cust due up.
Tigers 1, Mariners 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 19 11:35 PM
- Chone Figgins single to center scored Ichiro Suzuki with one out. Runner on first and Milton Bradley due up.
Tigers 1, Mariners 5 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 19 11:31 PM
- Jhonny Peralta single to right scored Miguel Cabrera with two out. Runner on first and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 1, Mariners 4 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 19 10:48 PM
- Chris Gimenez single to left scored Milton Bradley and Jack Cust with two out. Runners on first and second and Michael Saunders due up.
Tigers 0, Mariners 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 19 10:37 PM
- Brendan Ryan ground out short to first scored Chone Figgins with two out. Runners on second and third and Jack Wilson due up.
Tigers 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 19 10:32 PM
- Jack Cust walk scored Ichiro Suzuki with none out. Bases loaded and Miguel Olivo due up.
Tigers 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 19 10:29 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 19 10:13 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22