Tigers snap losing streak with win over YankeesMay 4, 2011 - 4:09 AM
Sizemore, who was brought up from Triple-A Toledo earlier Tuesday after tearing up the International League, continued to stay hot with an RBI and scored during his season debut.
"It's great to get the chance and you have to make the most of it," Sizemore said of getting the call to the majors. "I just want to go out and play hard every day and try to win some ball games."
Brad Penny (2-3) was solid, allowing six hits and one unearned run in six innings for the Tigers, who snapped a season-long seven-game losing streak.
Mark Teixeira launched a solo home run and Jorge Posada had a pair of hits for the Yanks, who had won three in a row, including a 5-3 win in Monday's series opener.
New York starting pitcher CC Sabathia (2-2) went seven innings in the loss, yielding four runs on 10 hits with six strikeouts.
Detroit came out firing with back-to-back doubles to start out the home half of the first. Austin Jackson ripped a ground-rule double that hopped over the left field fence and moved to third on Sizemore's double that went over Curtis Granderson's outreached glove in the right-center gap.
Jackson then touched home on Magglio Ordonez's grounder and Sizemore slid home safely thanks to Miguel Cabrera's sacrifice fly to right for a 2-0 lead.
"Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other team," Yanks short stop Derek Jeter said. "They have a job to do too. They're going to make pitches at times."
Russell Martin halved the deficit in the fourth with an RBI double for the Yankees and they could have tied or taken the lead with runners on second on third with one out. But Brett Gardner had a weak fly into right field where Casper Wells caught it in stride and gunned down a tagging Andruw Jones at home to keep the score 2-1 in favor of the home team.
The Tigers got after Sabathia in the fifth to post two runs for a three- run cushion. After Brandon Inge drew a one-out walk, Jackson ripped a shot into the left field corner to leg out an RBI triple. Jackson then scored on Sizemore's single for a 4-1 edge.
The New York ace intentionally walked Cabrera to load the bases with one out during the same inning. The gamble paid off for Sabathia, who got Ryan Raburn to strike out and Jhonny Peralta to hit a soft come backer to end the threat.
Mark Teixeira's homer in the eighth cut into the lead, but New York couldn't get any closer as Jose Valverde bounced back from surrendering Monday's loss with a save in the ninth.
Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano returned from missing Monday's game with a bone bruise on the palm of his left hand. He went 0-for-4 with a strikeout...It was Valverde's sixth save of the year...The Yankees took two of three from the Tigers earlier this year in the Bronx.
- NEW YORK: 2
May 3 10:02 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 2, Tigers 4 Top 8, 1 OutMay 3 9:37 PM
- Magglio Ordonez singled to right. Runners on first and third with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Yankees 1, Tigers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 3 8:47 PM
- Austin Jackson triple to left scored Brandon Inge with one out. Runner on third with one out and Scott Sizemore due up.
Yankees 1, Tigers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 3 8:43 PM
- Russell Martin double to left scored Jorge Posada with one out. Runners on second and third with one out and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 1, Tigers 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 3 8:22 PM
- Ryan Raburn grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Yankees 0, Tigers 2 End 1May 3 7:32 PM
- Magglio Ordonez groundout to second scored Austin Jackson with one out. Runner on third with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Yankees 0, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 3 7:28 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 7:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22